1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z-Index wizard doesn't work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shrp77, Sep 8, 2019.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Heh, it means something is getting updated that is not included in the "latest" revision -- did I mention that they were not great and the versioning and numbering? :)

Honestly it is a tough call who to blame since there are a lot of parts that make up the Raspbian OS image (RoboOS they call it) and it could easily be something other than their Z offset wizard causing the issue, but I contend it is really most likely their code. Make a backup image of the working one and just use that going forward. DO NOT use the update from the LCD. If you want to update anything do it from a Raspbian command prompt (SSH to the machine and do it that way: "sudo apt-get update"

I have no real insight into what Robo was doing with their update. They are on some seriously out-of-date portions of OctoPrint (some of the plugins are effectively obsolete) so updating globally is not a great way to go.

All that babble said -- this is why we were trying to create a "Community OS" version that WAS updateable.

2. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Well thats...something. Thanks Mark, I'll just image them from the two working ones then, since they report the latest and won't try to update and break themselves. I'm assuming we're not going to see another update pushed via the updater, so it'll be safe from students updating it not knowing to be skeptical.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I can't imagine them coming back at a later date and doing another update.
    The R2/C2/R1 boat has sailed and the E3 (EDU) printer is the only one they are still selling and supporting (as far as I know).

I seriously expect that the community OS version will be the base we users settle on and update as we need.