1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Offset - print 1 CM from bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by usafitz, Jul 1, 2017.

1. usafitz

usafitz Member

I ran the z offset wizard and got -9.2 as the result. Then, I went on to step 5 in the instructions to do a test print, but the space between the hotend and the bed was about a centimeter when it started to print. So I ran it again, then did another test print from the screen, and it did the same thing. What am I missing?

Also, if I use Simplify3d, what will I use in the g-code as the z-axis measurement. On my R1 and R1+, I use 0.09. What will the value be for the -9.2 number that the wizard spits out?

thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont believe you need anything in the scripts in s3d. @Ed Ferguson posted his fff in the r2 section. Might want to take a peek through his

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree. Let the R2 deal with the offset itself. That is the point in the wizards. I use a completely empty startup script for simplify.

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  4. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

usafitz - Time to start over :)

First, make sure your Robo firmware is up to date, otherwise you won't have the latest wizards. Next, the printed instructions that came with the R2 are out of date. So ... Perform these three steps to get your bed & offset set up:

1) Run the "Bed Calibration" wizard. This prompts you through the process of using a paper feeler gauge to manually level the bed (using the thumbscrews at the four corners) to minimize any tilt.

2) Run the "Z-Offset" wizard. This feeler gauge process gets the offset close enough to run the following step.

3) Run the "Fine Tune Offset" wizard. It prints a straight line. Use the up/down buttons to move the bed as needed. It then prints another line. Repeat adjustments until you have a semi-compressed line that sticks. I use the plastic stylus to nudge the printed line each time. If it's not sticking, jog the bed up slightly and test again. Don't over-compress; you just want enough to get the line to stick. When finished, press Save. My Fine Tune Offset ended up being -7.50

Do not insert the offset number into your slicer or g-code or Octoprint scripts. The R2 knows how to handle offset (you save it in step 3). Remove all code from your Simplify 3D start script. Octoprint (as configured by Robo) takes care of all the start, pause, and stop g-code operations.

#4 Ed Ferguson, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  5. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

And when you're done with all that and happy with your z-offset, go into LCD -> Utilities -> Options -> EEPROM -> Home Offsets...
    and write down your Z setting for your own reference.