1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z Offset Wizard Stopping at Step 1/4 with bed around 40mm away from extruding tip

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matthew P, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Matthew P

Matthew P New Member

Howdy everyone,

New to the Robo3D machines. Using a gently used
    R2 unit and I was following the steps from the online quick start and reading the forums but can't get past this hang up.

My issue is similar to the post (can't post links because I'm new):

Z Axis Wizard Problems
    Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dairdevil, Dec 16, 2019.

ISSUE:

During the Z-Offset Wizard, the wizard will stay on step 1/4 saying the machine will move the Z-Axis to minimum position. It will complete that and go all the way down, but when it comes back up it stops about 40mm from the tip of the extruder. It will not move past step 1/4 nor can I go back. I have to power-cycle the machine to get out of the wizard.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

I have restarted the machine several times, as you have to because it gets stuck in the wizard.
    I went into the EEPROM and the Z-Offset was set to -20. I changed that to 0 and applied that but it makes no difference when I try the wizard again. I also tried -30, the exact same issue occurred and after I restarted the machine it was back to -20. When I go into the Motor controls the bed will NOT move up higher on the Z-Axis then where it stops during the wizard until I press the button in the upper right corner of the screen (the bed travels all the way to the min position then returns to the same spot). At that point I can move the Z-Axis all the way up to the tip. I have reset the EEPROM, and if it helps at all these are the values I see:

Home offsets:
    Z: -20
    Probe offset:
    Z: 0
    Steps per unit:
    Y: 80
    X: 80
    Z: 800
    E: 145.5

Accelerations:
    P: 500
    R: 1000
    T: 1000

Max Accelerations:
    Y: 3000
    X: 3000
    Z: 100
    E: 1000

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, don't use the wizard.
    Seriously :)
    manually set the Z offset in the EEPROM from the LCD to -1.0

Slice something like the attached STL (size it to fit the entire bed or close)

Send it to the printer. Print it. It is one layer. If the first layer is TOO HIGH then lower the Z offset a small amount (less negative)
    Print it again...
    If it is TOO LOW (filament not extruding because nozzle too close to bed) raise it a small amount (MORE negative)
    Print it again...

Go through a few iterations manually raising/lowering the Z offset in the EEPROM until your first layer is right. (if you need a reference for "right" then look over here: https://www.printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt)

Ultimately that is all the wizard does for you... it prints a test line and you bump it up or down and it prints another, etc. Stores the final result when done.

Attached Files:

#2 mark tomlinson, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  3. Matthew P

Matthew P New Member

Hey hey Mark thanks for the input! I tried setting the Z-Offset manually in the EEPROM to -10, -5, -4, -3, -2, -1, -0.5, -0.4, -0.3, -0.2, -0.1, and 0.

No matter where I set the Z-Offset in the EEPROM the bed stops at the same exact spot when starting the print and it won't seem to go beyond this spot. I know the bed is capable of going higher because when using the Motor controls I can make it go that high.

But no matter what number I choose (even went so far as +15), it stops about what looks like 2mm away from the needle and won't go past it.

[​IMG]

4. Matthew P

Matthew P New Member

Resolved the issue. Changed the probe offset in EEPROM.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, I think they called it probe offset which is confusing as the NOZZLE is the probe :)

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue. My suggestion would be to make sure the software and firmware are current. Details can be found in the R2 FAQ. Older versions of RoboOS and/or firmware can give you weird symptoms, especially if their versions don't match each other.