1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z-Offset Wizard stuck at step 1 of 4

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ballhogjoni, Mar 24, 2020.

1. wuidling

wuidling Member

You're right. Newbie mistake !

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All the M502 does is reset the flash eprom -- not the firmware.
    You have to load that either with the Arduino IDE from source code or from OctoPrint via a HEX dump (at least that used to work).

Flash EPROM (also known as EEPROM -- electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) stores local variables in a bit of RAM that can survive power cycles, but it is not the same as the firmware which controls the printer (and defines default values for many variables).

The M502, M500 reloads the default values from the firmware into the flash eprom.

https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?146,159037

https://marlinfw.org/docs/features/eeprom.html

http://zennmaster.com/random-things...s-eeprom-functions-and-what-that-does-for-you

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The firmware file link is posted in the R2 FAQ.

4. Paul Pangrazzi

Paul Pangrazzi New Member

Closing out my original post... I have a new issue regarding temps, but after using the updated R2 FAQ (links to new 2.0.0-r2.6 image) and firmware, I can now report that I have successfully set my z-offset height with the LCD panel wizard.
    In addition, I now have a new hardened steel nozzle mated properly against the heat break, and even my Octoprint is reliably reporting firmware versions in the browser. All is (nearly) well.

Thanks to @mark tomlinson and @tkoco for the education and help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. ballhogjoni

ballhogjoni Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Won't regret the HS nozzles, those things are sturdy. I went through brass nozzles like tissue paper. Still haven't worn out a hardened steel one -- yet.

7. wuidling

wuidling Member

I tested the latest Robo 1.2.4 and 1-2.6. both with positive z-offset and problems with fine offset adjustment (motor stops sometimes x/y) so i switched back to Marlin.R2.1.1.7.hex. My Robo R2 is new but i think produced 2017.

Regards

(Please excuse my School English)

#47 wuidling, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Z Offset values must be a negative value due to the physical construction of the R2 printer. Positive values would be correct for a Prusa 3D printer, but incorrect for a Robo printer.

Here is another way to think about the Z Offset values. On a Prusa printer, you are asking "How far up do I need to move the extruder assembly to be at the correct height?" Thus you need a positive value. With a Robo printer, you are asking "How far down do I need to move the print bed to be at the correct height?" Thus you need a negative value.

#48 tkoco, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

If you still get the oozing filament problem, this posting will help:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/how-to-upgrade-swap-nozzle.21331/

While it was written for the C2 printer, it is applicable to the R2 printer since they use the same style of hot-end.

When replacing a nozzle, always re-level the print bed since the amount of nozzle sticking out of the hot-end will inevitably be different from the last nozzle.

10. wuidling

wuidling Member

Hello,

Can someone tell me why the wrong z-settings are not fixed in the firmware ?

It is frustrating when you do the complete setup (Calibration/Software/Firmware)
    and after all..... the nozzle crashed into the bed.

Regards

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There were issues with the firmware and RoboOS that cropped up in some of their last updates.
    Sadly they have mostly dropped the R1, R2, C2 platforms from all except warranty work.

So no further updates are going to be forthcoming from Robo for anything (other than the E3 which is not really a printer they design and build, they just resell it)

So this is something we have tried to sort out as users.

12. wuidling

wuidling Member

This explains the price i payed for a unused R2 at ebay.

But for a beginner i think the printer is optimal for testing and learning.

Regards

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Indeed :)
    The gantry style is a decent printer all things considered, they just needed a couple of versions to work out the problems (like they did with the R1 series).

wuidling likes this.
  14. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

@wuidling, The two pieces of the puzzle, RoboOS and Robo modified Marlin firmware, need to be matched up. I undertook a lot of testing of both items on my R2. The best and most correct combination has been posted in the R2 FAQ. Many people coming onto this forum were having similar issues like you. Once they matched up the two items, the problems went away. Please read ( or re-read ) the R2 FAQ.

15. wuidling

wuidling Member

Finally i changed the SD Card to 64GB with the suggested Image.

R2 prints with the 1.2.6 HEX-Version and Offset & Fine Offset are now working correctly, only the touchscreen sometimes still reacts delayed or not at all, but with Octoprint it's only a little problem.

The Octoprint Script from tkoco/FAQ is resetting the printer by moving the bed.
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...ipt_for_r2-before-print-job-starts-zip.17816/

After printing some testfiles i will change my damaged surface to a BuildTalk Flexpboard.

Again, thanks for the support !

16. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

You are correct about the occasional delay to responding to a screen tap, but it is a minor thing.
    You are not obligated to use the script, however, it is very easy to edit the script via the Octoprint web-page interface. I supplied the script so as to give some starting points for the various filaments ( priming line parameters, hot-end temps and print bed temps - which can be easily changed to meet your needs )
    The initial Flexplate kit comes with one sheet of Buildtak. You can order additional Flexplates and Buildtak sheets from https://www.partsbuilt.com/

17. wuidling

wuidling Member

At least the Robo worked almost perfect, but the Fine Offset Wizard do not work at all.
    The values generated in the menu make no sense.
    So i make the normal Z- Offset and change the Offset in little steps in the Eprom menu.

Here is a picture printed in low qualiy

Attached Files:

18. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Nice. Are you using Cura as the slicing software?

19. wuidling

wuidling Member

Yes, printed wirh Cura 20% Infill, 70mm Speed, Low Quality, PET 235°
    The file is from Thingiverse.

Regards

20. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

In the profile, open the Experimental area ( bottom of the profile ) and click on the Use Adaptive Layers option, You will need to have all of the settings visible. Re-slice the model and then re-print it. Compare the finished model to the previous one.

wuidling likes this.