1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z-ribbing Tip

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stargrove1, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

In the beginning I had a z ribbing problem on my Robo3D, after playing around with the z axis, where I changed the coupler, it went away. I thought that the new coupler is centered better and that fixed the problem. The I changed the x-carriage recently and suddenly the ribbing was back again, since the couplers could not be the reason, I thought that the only change I could have made was the direction of the nut inside of the z carriage. I started doing a small testcube, then I lifted the whole carriage and simply turned the hobbed bolt including the nut for 60° that the nut fits again to the carriage, a new calibration was not neccessarry since the hight stays the same. After a testprint I found that the ribbing has decreased, I repeated the procedure and the ribbing was completly gone again. I don't know the reason for this, but in case someone else has the same problem, it might help.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

3. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

Hi Ziggy, I read this thread before and I tried to follow all of the steps, but it didn't actually solve my problem. Maybe I didn't fully understand what to do.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you make all of the fixes? Including the ball bearings in the couplers?

It's possible you have Z Wobble not Z Ribbing. Can you post some pictures?

5. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

No I didn't try that fix as I only had the standard couplers, but after I found a way to get rid of the ribbing (or wobble), I left this as it is.

I tried to attach pictures when I started the post, but I received an error, therefor I remained by a textual description.

Could you point out the difference between z wobble and z ribbing? I understood that my problem is the ribbing and not wobble, but off course possible I mistake it.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Images should be uploaded to imgur.com until the forums are fixed.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The ball bearing fix is intended as a mod to the standard Z couplers. If you haven't installed the ball bearings, the Z couplers will cause ribbing unless you are one of the lucky ones where rotation of the couplers does not cause Z height variations.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s211...953d8924c71d/1ef992988295487c98c268dcdd2d687e

This article describes the difference between ribbing and wobble. Some of the other info in this article is not correct (for example the metric versus imperial rods discussion). But generally a good reference article.

8. Stargrove1

Stargrove1 Member

After reading the article, I think I used the wrong naming, seems that I had a z wobble problem, sorry for that. At least I documented how I got rid of it.

Actually I have already a pair of metric rods prepared, but as I was about to exchange them, I recognized that the hex holes are slightly smaller than my hex nuts, at this point I stopped my work and postponed it. The metric rods are way straighter than the stock ones.

2 people like this.
  9. collin

collin New Member

i had the same experience

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Post some pics @Colin. And list what steps you did.

Edit: I saw a few pics of prints you have posted last few days. You have an under extrusion problem and some random x and/or y shifts.

The random X/Y shifts could be caused by a loose extruder, Z smooth rods not held tight, loose belt(s) or pulling/jerking on the filament spool.

I don't see much evidence of Z Ribbing at all (if any).

#10 Ziggy, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2014
    2 people like this.
  11. collin

collin New Member

ya actually i found out what that under extrusion was, i had my nozzle settings set for my larger nozzle lol rookie mistake.

but in terms of ribbing actually im back to acceptable levels of rib a vary small amount, i applied all the fixes in your guild a few months back minus the lock tight on the couplers i didnt want to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.