1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Z-Step

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jella_joe, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

ok. I just printed the calibration cube. I consistently get 8.7 mm high on a 10 mm cube. What do I need to change or do to reflect this update. The print is gorgeous otherwise. I have seriously not had a print this good. It makes me kind of scared to change anything. Is there a code I can type to fix this or do I need to go into the firmware. If the firmware....which section?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Printer?
    Firmware version?
    Upgrades?

Not enough info here so every response you will get will be a wild ass guess.

Jella_joe and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. We need to know which printer it is (beta/R1/R1+) which, if any, upgrades you have installed and which (if any) firmware updates you have applied (and exactly which ones if you did apply any).

It does sound as if the Z steps are incorrect which can happen since the beta and R1 (but not the plus) have similar, but not the same, Z steps.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Since the printers are not clearly labeled with a model # and the versions of the firmware are not named very well it is easy to get the wrong firmware in a printer,.

5. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Ok, guys. Here is goes. I have a Robo R1 and I upgraded the lead screw. I got the firmware from the website ROBO3DR1PLUSV1. The cube prints 8.7/10 mm but when I tried to print a part at about the 5th layer it wasn't even touching the part anymore. It was printing in the air. So weird.

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Did you do an M502 followed by M500 after uploading the firmware? Just wondering if you steps are off

7. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I did not............ I figured out why the other print was floating I had a bad layer height. Muahahahhaha

I still have that the final height value issue though. I will do the M502 and 500 tomorrow.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The EEPROM will bite you every time. Here are all the codes for a reference:

==== EEPROM GCodes ====

M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)
    So after firmware is fixed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.

Rigmarol and Geof like this.