1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Trouble

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jella_joe, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

OK. I can't print anything where the nozzle has to lift and relocate. It just isn't consistent on landing right. I upgraded the lead screws. I am so frustrated. Why is it so far off? Another favorite is when I pause and then continue and the nozzle makes a huge indent and then smashes everything. I feel like I can't pause or create things with gaps but I see models all the time like that. What is wrong?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can you be more specific (maybe a video). Remember we can't see it and have not been following along as you do the work :)

If you swapped the leadscrews be sure you updated the firmware correctly to account for that.

From some of what you say it could be that the Z driver (or drivers if you have an R1+) is perhaps failing.

IF you move nothing (i.e. do not touch the printer) a pause and restart should happen exactly like you think. If you pause and then move things (X, Y or Z) you must be certain the nozzle is back where it started.

3. Robert J.

Robert J. Member

I had a similar problem that drove me crazy. I did every possible upgrade, but in the end it turned out that the fan on my control board was bad and the ramp's were overheating. Not that this is your problem but something to look at.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This.

5. SteveDjarrell

SteveDjarrell Active Member

When I did the lead screw upgrade on mine, well it was a PITA. I ended up replacing the Stepper driver that ran the z axis then had to redo the pots setting on it. that is of course after flashing the correct firmware or adjusting the one you have. I also added a second fan over the RAMPS Board. In the end the POTS adjustment and the Extra fan were needed. Actually Mark helped me with mine answering questions as well. Been great ever since.

Definitely check the air flow.

-Steve

6. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I am sorry. This printer has been nothing but trouble since day one. Out of all my prints there have only been 2 that I was proud of. I got the printer second hand. I think I agree that it is airflow. I wish there was a kit for this. The recommendation after research is 2 pressure fans rather than velocity fans. I have to get parts from here and there. ug. I don't mind working on it myself. This takes so much time away from just getting orders out. Every time I fix something there is something else I need to upgrade to fix part quality. It just gets old.

7. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I ordered the parts for the fan. Wish me luck.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Jella_joe I am pretty sure that @Geof uses his Robo in a production environment as well as many other printers maybe he can give you a bit of insight.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Jella_joe fore up a thread and we can go over anything youd like. Or if youd rather you can pm me.

@WheresWaldo is correct, many machines including the robo all running production.

I do stock alot of parts for my machines but very few downtime situations and one day a week for maintenance. Pm work is key for all machines, expecially if your quality standards are high.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Geof, I basically use my Robo for testing designs, many times I don't even print out entire models. A few knickknacks for the wife or an occasional part for the computer or to repair something in the house. But still, I maintain my printers about once every two to three weeks, checking things like level, cleaning up the nozzle, lubricating rails, cleaning the print bed, etc.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yessir! I do it once a week (Fridays) and run about 16 hrs a day monday-thursday on 18 machines then about 10 hours friday (maintenance) then 24 hr saturday and sunday. Only times they are off is when I'm at the day job. Lots of oil and cleaning :D.

Rigmarol and mark tomlinson like this.
  12. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Honestly. I have never had one print that I am completely happy with. I feel like I read every article and everything on trouble shooting and I always find new problems after deal with the old ones. I seriously want to go screaming down the streets. I can't give up because that's who I am. I have the thing running slow to prevent that. I make the walls thicker than I see other people doing. I clean it, calibrate it with new filament...oil the threads. I am a soldier. I follow orders. I had to print a dumb flat shelf for my son several times and finally got one. I swear that was a fluke. 1/4 thick flat shelf with 2 feet for mounting. At this point I wish someone would just come here and be like...your an idiot. Look at what you are missing. Every design that I print with a gap will be complete disaster. It lifts and and then goes back and is never and I mean never in the right spot. sometimes it's printing in air and sometimes it decides that it needs to just rip everything off the bed. So I modify all prints to not have gaps so I can print them. I see all this beautiful stuff people print and I can't. I hate the calibration cube and the circle. They print perfect every time and offer no help at all.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

lets start with a different print then and we can diagnose from there.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:66175

quick print. Good for testing and tweaking slicer profiles. Up for it? we need accurate settings and good pictures. (make sure to include one of the first layer as well)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Been there, done that... Got the odd looks from the neighbors.

WheresWaldo and Jella_joe like this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It really helps if you have a maker group nearby and can find other addicts that are also using a printer. Even a different printer :)

If you were close to central Florida I'd say pack it up and bring it over (already done that a few times).

Jella_joe likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm in Illinois if thats closer? :D more than happy to help.

Jella_joe likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Of course you could use it as an excuse to go to DisneyWorld ;)

Geof and Jella_joe like this.
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Uhm...we have.... mcdonalds !

Jella_joe and mark tomlinson like this.
  19. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I am in Kentucky. I am from Chicago but Kentucky is where my job is. OK. I am going to get that thing off of thingiverse and start with this crazy. I just saw the model....I am trying not to laugh from hysteria. I already know looking at the model that I cannot print that. I will though. I am getting ready for the crazy

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck ... that specific object (the deprime) has quite specific troubleshooting steps for failures of different types on the different sections.

Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.