1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z Trouble

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jella_joe, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Then this is just a pure slicer issue.

The other stuff can be resolved after we get the slicer working correctly. But since this is MatterControl, the folks at MatterHackers may have a better idea of what is going on. Otherwise my suggestion is, first completely remove MatterControl and all it's settings, reboot your PC, download the latest version of MatterControl directly from MatterHackers.com (not from Robo). Reinstall and re-setup for the printer. After that you should be at a starting point. It is almost impossible to work on a system remotely where not all changes are clearly known.

The second suggestion would be to dump MatterControl completely and try one of the other free slicers such as Cura v 15.04.6 or Slic3r. The last suggestion is to dump all the free slicers and break down and purchase S3D.

Jella_joe and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

These sort of problems (slicer ones) are why we eventually moved to S3D as well.
    In every free slicer we ran into problems of some sort. Some where just annoying and others were fatal (as in there was no way to correctly slice some models). I just got tired of chasing them.

If the bulk of the models you print are precreated STLs then odds are good you can find a free slicer that will work if others have printed that model, but if the bulk of your printing is your own work it is just frustration.

Jella_joe likes this.
  3. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Ok.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

4. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I am using Matter Control. I looked at other software but they seem intimidating. Time to step up or shut up I guess.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You an open a bug with MatterHackers
    you have a well defined test case it seems to me.

However if you want an immediate solution I think you need to try another slicer.

Jella_joe likes this.
  6. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I haven't heard of S3D but I was trying to find a free one. I am a mechanical engineer so I make almost everything from scratch. I don't think there's a mechanical issue. It sounds really good...belts are great. It feels like it should work.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can try the other free ones: Cura, Repetier host, Kslicer, etc.
    MatterControl is not the only one out there.

I have tried every (unless there is a real recent one) free one out there (even host programs like pronterface) so if you need more ideas let me know.

edit: forgot skeinforge -- how I forgot that is a mystery because it was unforgettably difficult.

#67 mark tomlinson, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Jella_joe likes this.
  8. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

Maybe I will submit a ticket with them. Odds are I will still move to another slicer though, way too much heartache with this one.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That succinctly summarizes my experiences with MC as well

Geof and Jella_joe like this.
  10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Of all the free ones @mark tomlinson recommended, the only one I wouldn't use is KSlicer since development on it stopped a long time ago. Repetier-Host uses Cura-Engine or Slic3r if I recall and is really not a slicer per se, but rather a front end for a slicing engine. Engineering types usually like Slic3r since it gives you complete control over almost every aspect of the slicing process. S3D and MatterControl dumbs down most of the settings. The key differentiators of Simplify3D (S3D) is that you can take a deep dive into settings if you want to. They have put a lot of work into the actual slicing engine and while not perfect, it is by far the fastest slicer out there. One more thing, if you build your models and they must use supporting structures to print properly, the default settings of supports from S3D appear superior to any of the other slicers out there. Slic3r can be made to do what S3D does by default, but it takes a lot of trial and error. Meshmixer has as good a support structure as S3D but it adds another step to the workflow as it doesn't actually slice anything. The part that always makes me reluctant to make S3D a definitive choice is the cost of entry ($150 USD) and DRM (the anti-piracy methods used to make life harder for normal users as pirates will still pirate the software).

#70 WheresWaldo, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Jella_joe, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

I bought and LCD controller with an SD port...it's not pretty but it's functional. I saw someone do the upgrade online and I think I can handle it. I can do G-Code with the Robo right? Is G-Code all the same? It looks like an easy upgrade that could solve my issues and for way cheaper than S3D. I bought fans as well as the LCD and I am getting ready to print holders for everything. Slic3r is way less intimidating than I thought and I like that I have so many options that are all in one place. I have a lot to think about. I am thinking maybe get another fan to help keep the internal stuff cool.

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes you should be able to export the gcode from slicer to the sd card(i never used it, i went for simplify 3d)

The lcd controller is a great upgrade that takes communication issues out of the equation.

I still use the single 40mm fan for my electronics without issue, but most go for a larger to keep the electronics very cool.

Jella_joe likes this.
  13. Jella_joe

Jella_joe Member

With Geof's help today I used Cura to get the G-code for the LCD controller I just installed. I printed Deprime again. I am honestly happy. It's rough but all axes are "stable" so updates should look even great eventually. Layers slid a bit or it was overfilling but this was a very fast print for the layer height.

Thanks for hanging in there with me everyone. Couldn't be happier that is over for now! I am sure I will be back soon. lol

Attached Files:

#73 Jella_joe, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Geof likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.