1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Calibration and Esteps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jake Ciasca, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

So I was calibrating my new E3D V6 hotend following this video,

by Tom and I changed the value in the arduino code for the printer to what the steps per unit should be and uploaded it to the printer and then to double check that it was set, I called an M503 command in printrun pronterface and it says the value is still the default robo r1 firmware value which is 723.38 and to test this I even tried extruding another 100mm after the change I supposedly did and it extrudes to the exact same length. So if anyone has input on how to fix this in the firmware and upload it to my printer, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, it is probably stored in the Flash EPROM. Do this (in a GCode terminal):

M502;
    M500;

Because:

==== EEPROM GCodes ====
    M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)
    So after firmware is fixed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Anything else (settings) you have stored in the flash EPROM (EEPROM) will be lost or reset back to factory defaults. This is usually not a big deal.

<shrug> I am more a fan of fixing a problem in GCode than storing it in the EEPROM :)
    But to each their own. In your case fixing the firmware is the right way to do it.

#3 mark tomlinson, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Jake Ciasca likes this.
  4. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Ok so I'm really not an expert with gcode but you kinda lost me in the first post and talking about EPROM and what that is.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The printers have an EEPROM (a chunk of memory that stay active with the power off -- like an EPROM, but rewritable) and they store (or can store) settings there that are normally held in firmware. If the setting is stored in the flash EPROM then that overrides the firmware setting. Unless you refresh it which is what my instructions help you do.

You need to open a GCode terminal in your host program (here is the link for how to do that in MatterControl: http://wiki.mattercontrol.com/OPTIONS/G-Code_Terminal) and type in those two GCodes I referenced EXACTLY :) (all upperace and don't forget the semicolon) and after typing each one in you hit enter. Or maybe click SEND for MatterControl -- not sure, I don't use that so you may need to read their instructions

6. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Also, when I added my lcd screen I didn't have to mess with anything in the gcode, why is that?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of the LCD screens is activated by default for the R1/R1+ (the smaller one)

The larger full graphic one requires a firmware edit

8. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

In pronterface I don't think you need the semicolons, just to let you know.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

GCode is terminated (when sent to the printer) with semicolons. Pronterface may be doing that for you (which is handy) -- I don't use that either so no experience there

10. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

So I had edited the firmware but it didn't require me to use the M502 and the M500 gcode commands

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

At some point you have enabled using the EEPROM and from that point on you are going to need to refresh it.

12. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Do you have to use the EEPROM? And if so when would I have enabled it and how?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

14. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Ok still a little confused but I was able to use the gcode and it changed the firmware so that is good. Thank you!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It can be confusing to sort out the firmware (which is also stored on a Flash EPROM) with the extra tid-bit of Flash EPROM that the Arduino uses for this "EEPROM" settings :) Just think of it this way:
    1) FIRMWARE you have to edit and reload
    2) Flash EPROM you do not. You can even control it from the host program (like MatterControl)