1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Under cover lighting, LED strip, power source?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by joea, Feb 22, 2022.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Hope to add an LED strip light under the upper cover of the R1 to ease various tasks as well as watch prints more easily.

I've seen one similar mod for an R1 but it did not mention electrical connections. Most seem to be for the R2.

If it's a "Been there Done That", just lead me to the barn.

If not: This LED strip will need about .56 amp (560ma) of +5V DC. Can I tap into the existing Power Supply or should I just rig up an AC supply using say a USB adapter for power?

If I'm not too lazy, may add a switch .

2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I bought an LED strip kit in Autozone, wired it to a switch which is connected to the case, then connected it to the internal 12 volt power supply. I have a total of 3 strips in the case.

3. joea

joea Active Member

Decided not to try and draw +5V from the RAMPS board as being too risky.

I ended up ordering another COB LED strip, this one a 12V version. with a 5.5mm plug on the end, so I will just run leads from the extra connectors on the Power Supply itself to a matching connector on the end, so I can pull the cover off easily when necessary.

I'd rather chance replacing a PS than a RAMPS.

The 15 or 16 inches of LED strip will not draw much, so I'll probably omit a switch.

The COB style has a more even light pattern.

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

The LED won't load the 12 volt supply if you connect it directly to it. As a general rule, it's a good idea to have the least amount of current being supplied by the RAMPS. I installed 2 solid state relay boards to control the bed, and the hotend. The bed connector on the RAMPS is what usually goes first. The plastic melts, and the solder joint breaks off.