1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z offset in Octoprint not being followed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Carlos144Green, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Carlos144Green

Firstly my LCD doesn't work so I do all of my printing through octoprint on my browser. A problem that I ran into was that the z-offset was off by about 5 mm in every print. I can adjust it mid-print for one layer then it returns to the 5 mm offset as it was before on the next layer. The offset isn't erratic, it's always about 5mm off.

I have tried to use the octoprint terminal to fix the offset (M851 Z -#.## ->M500) but it seems that it has no effect during the print. The terminal says that the values were edited and saved (M851 shows its value, M500 saves it) but even if I change it to some obscure offset like positive 10, it is still about 5mm off the bed.

To my eye, it looks like octoprint is ignoring the offset for some reason. I don't know much else about the version of the software or related info since it has been some time since I last used the printer.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For the R2/C2 using the default SD card/software you really need to run the Z leveling wizard ad the fine-tuning wizard. That handles it.
    If you are on the latest (buggy) version from Robo then your mileage may vary. The FAQ should reference which version of the "RoboOS" (Raspian with OctoPi and a custom plugin for the LCD menu) is the best to STAY on :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Honestly you can just get a modern version of Raspbian with the current version of OctoPi and run a different menu on the LCD (there are plugins for OctoPi that handle the LCD) and while the menu will be different you will be happier in most cases and can stay current on the Pi software side.

4. Carlos144Green

I don't intend to attempt to fix or replace the LCD because I have had the printer work without it for some time. I just want to adjust the leveling through octoprint. From what I understood, you suggest for me to flash a new OS and octoprint onto the raspberry to allow the use of the octoprint terminal to fix the offset?

5. Carlos144Green

I also don't know what OS I have, if it's the old one or the new one. Its been a very long time since I touched this printer, I don't remember much.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The problem with just doing it in OctoPrint with the older robo custom version is that the Z leveling wizard is involved and that overrides the OctoPrint settings.

Rerun the Z leveling wizard (AND the fine tuning wizard) from the LCD menus and that will configure the offset for you. You can try editing the OctoPrint config, but that usually doesn't help... thanks to the boogered up versions of everything :)

They broke much of this in their last update to RoboOS which is why I suggested replacing it with a standard version, but you may not want to and that is fine. You may have to roll back to a version of the RoboOS that actually worked. Pretty sure we have that version called out in the FAQ thread and we have it staged somewhere for download if you get stuck.