1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello from QLD

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kevyn Watkins, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Hi Guys,

Got my Robo here on the Sunshine Coast. Having a few issues with the prints popping off the bed, think I need to box it all in. Anyone else in Aus here?

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey Kevyn, there are a few other users here from Aus on the forums. I'm sure they'll see this thread and say it for themselves! Glad to hear you got your printer!
    - HV

3. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has ordered filament from a local supplier down here, and what the filament was like

4. poxcx

poxcx Member

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

There a re several issue that could come into play with prints not sticking well the most critical being the nozzle height if it is off your prints will have issues
    Also what type of filament are you using PLA or ABS I would suggest starting with PLA as it is the easiest to get printing with let us know if you have more issues

6. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Somewhere between shimming the heater with some cardboard and taping the borosilicate glass down I've managed to get it working nicely. The wood is bowed pretty bad and is twisting the build platform down in one corner, so levelling the bed can only do so much. I will eventually need to replace the wood and the slide rails i think, but for now it's working :-D

7. Aaron bycroft

Aaron bycroft New Member

Hi Kevyn I m in Ipswich and apart of the Brisbane hacker space I have been getting my filament from the guys at bilbycnc they are really good with prices, and I have been using their pla filament that has the melting point from 190 to 220. If you need some help with your printer send me a direct message and ill send you my phone number or Skype and I can help you out if you like

8. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Thanks Aaron, I just got a few spools off Bilby, and got myself a "Golden Ticket" 1 free spool :-D

They were out of Blue Glow PLA so they rang me, good customer support, and so far I've been getting good prints out of the grey ABS I'm trialing with.

My Boro glass keeps softening up the clips and slipping around during prints, wrapping blue tape right around the bed and strapping it down into the Wood seems to be helping though, time to try a bigger print...

9. poxcx

poxcx Member

Special on for Australians, I picked up some ABS for $32 a roll with free shipping when spending over $150.
    the discount doesnt show up until the checkout.

http://www.3dprintergear.com.au/

10. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

11. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Kevyn I am in NSW South Coast so a stones throw away compared to 'dem up north'... I am working my way around the forum and noted your introductions and plea. I got mine on Oct 27 and only last night sucessfully printed my first job with success - did you resolve your sticking issues which in the forum are all way too common. I am struggling again today to repeat last nights print but a little more confident that it is technical ( a bit too fickle) and not a total loss. If you want to exchange printing war stories - this is my okay to do so. Rick

12. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Hi Rick,

I am waiting on some new linear bearings and rails to show up before I print anything else, I think a lot of the issues I have are due to the drawer sliders wobbling.

I also think I need to pull the nozzle out and give it a thorough clean. I read elsewhere on the forum that the filament curling as soon as it exits the nozzle and sticking back onto itself could be a sign of a junked up extruder.

I've done a few successful prints, but it's always a mission and never repeatable.

13. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

I concur on the nonrepeatable as I scratch my head (scratching everything really) as I chase one issue into another .......... I found out today that PLA is best for babies like me to learn with - of course I picked up half dozen of ABS already.
    I note references to where to get filament - The old demon that is eBay has someone auctioning ABS and if you chase it, settles at 20-25 a roll/delivered.

14. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

Just an update, I did pull my extruder out and cleaned it up as best I could. I cleaned it externally with a Steelo @ about 180°C. To clean it internally I didn't have anything the right diameter so I just pushed about 20cm of PLA through it. It then started to feed out as expected when hot, not curling back onto itself so much.

I work away from home so my printer was sitting unused for about 2 weeks. I had been using glow in the dark PLA from Bilby before I left, when I came home and started a print I noticed the filament now has bubbles in it when extruding. I assume this is due to the humidity here so I'm going to bake it in the oven for a bit to see if it helps. I had issues with some Chinese PLA and that helped it too.

I have just printed out 2 pairs of owls, Keraynopoylos' cable bundle holder and an EVA-01 model without having to re-adjust anything, Kill a print or interfere with it while it's laying down the first layers.

15. OMG Really!

OMG Really! Member

Hate is not strong enough a word to describe my feelings :) THREE prints and nothing touched!!!!! $%%&.
    Kevyn what were your abs settings if you do not mind - reference material as I compare a few successful print stories.

16. Kevyn Watkins

Kevyn Watkins New Member

I am using all default settings as per the Robo3D repetier bundle