1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Print Speed Help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by spankurmonkey, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I am working on printing a 3dlapprint Airplane .... I am using their supplied factory files and I have tweaked the settings in S3D slightly.

for example I am printing the cylinder heads for the Stearman PT-17. The first round I printed solely using the factory file not tweaking anything in S3D and while the print was an "overnight" print the quality was not that great.

So yesterday I modified the S3D slightly to have thicker walls and top and bottom layers but that is it other than on my XXL LCD I turned it down to 48%.

So my question is this... if in S3D the print speed is 40.0 mm/s and I then turn the dial on the XXL Controller to 48% is my print speed them roughly 20.0 mm/s ?

I just thought it was printing way to fast so I slowed it down and under the factory settings file the print would have estimated to 6 hrs but with what I did it ended at 17 hours and 27 minutes... quality is slightly better

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Feed rate adjusted by the knob on the controller only takes into account timing if everything was at top speed regardless of any direction changes. But since the mechanics of the printer cannot accelerate or decelerate instantaneously more time actually is used than estimated. It is the nature of things in the 3D printed world (and plain old physics too, remember Newton)

#2 WheresWaldo, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  3. spankurmonkey

spankurmonkey Member

I am not fully grasping this.... so the knob does nothing to speed or your saying that it reducing flow rate in turn it effects the speed, etc ?

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I corrected my statement above, I should have said the knob controls the FEEDRATE, which is how fast or slow everything moves including axis moves, extruder and acceleration rates. But estimates of time are based on everything moving at full speed (or whatever fraction set in the FEEDRATE) without regard for real world mechanics concerning Newton's First Law (I don't put links in my post that don't actually add to your knowledge base).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.