1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can't connect to my R1 Plus

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Don Anderson, Mar 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

I haven't been using my R1 plus for several months and decided to get back using it. I've been using the C2 but want to use both. Now when I try to connect to the R1 plus, I get a message that it is unable to find the printer. I was using MatterControl first and then tried the Cura 2.3.1. Same error. Neither can see the R1 plus. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this worked final a few months ago using the same laptop under Windows 8.1. Thanks ahead of time.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, you shot the usual suspects I presume?
    >printer turned on. USB connected, etc.<

If this is windows OS, when you plug in the printer does it make the "USB connected" beep pattern?

3. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

Absolutely. Printer on, USB connection was tried in 3 different ports, latest software installed. Very puzzling indeed. Especially since it worked great a few months ago. Thanks Mark

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Are you hearing the beep? That would help isolate it some. No beep means that the arduino is never connecting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

5. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

No beep at all

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ok... you can try looking in device manager to see if it is showing up (will show as arduino mega) but no beep means it probably is not. Could be a bad arduino. Those are cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

7. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

That's the funny part, device manager shows the port COM3 as arduino mega (2560). Still won't connect. tried deleting this driver and that didn't go anywhere. Still unconnected. Thanks Mark

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, I assume at the time you are doing this that the C2 was NOT connected.
    That will also tend to show up* and we don't want to confuse it :) At least not until you know if it is working.

Disconnect every other 3D printer/scanner and see if it shows up.

If something DOES show up, then we can try to go from there.
    If nothing does then it is very likely a bad Arduino board. There are other more remote possibilities but I would start there.

*granted that is a Pi, but still ... keep it as simple as possible.

9. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

Mark - you are definitely on top of things. I never thought about having both printers attached would cause a problem. I'll bet that is what the problem is. I had the R1+ and C2 both connected via USB at the same time. C2 was on first. Will test this out in the AM and let you know. I'm sure that is the problem. Thanks very much for your knowledge and expertise, Mark.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are welcome.
    And in all fairness they should NOT collide with each other (one is a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint with some plugins and the other an Arduino Mega 2560). However, I have not really sorted out all of the OctoPrint plugins that Robo has installed so ... your mileage may vary :)

I use the C2 100% wireless these days.

11. Don Anderson

Don Anderson New Member

Mark - You were exactly right. I didn't realize having the R1+ and the C2 both on USB ports would stop the R1+ cold. Don't know why I did that since I have ben using the C2 wirelessly since day 1. Oh well, on to bigger and better things. Thanks again.
    How do I change to SOLVED?

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.