1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Printer seems to power cycle 10 mins into print?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Connor Williams, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Connor Williams

Connor Williams New Member

My stock power supply got fried somehow and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I recently purchased a Mean Well 12V 350W switching power supply.
    I just wired it up and installed it. It starts up and seems to run fine. When I start a print, it prints great for ~8-12 mins, then it seems to do some sort of power cycle, where the whole machine loses power for a second or two (including my LCD screen). It starts itself back up after about a second and then just sits there. When it comes back on, my LCD screen displays that the printer is cooling down to 0 degrees C. I also replaced the RAMPS board fan with a Noctua of the same size. The thing is so darn quiet that I'm not sure if its actually running. Is the fan plug and play? Or do I have to change something in the printer's code to recognize the new fan? Thanks all for the help.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The fan is plug and play, it is wired to an always on connector and must always be running. If it is NOT running then it is a bad fan, bad wiring or a bad RAMPS board.

You need to bring up and monitor the GCode terminal (how you do that varies by whatever software you are using) and see what (if any) errors are spit out by the printer when this power cycle occurs.

3. Connor Williams

Connor Williams New Member

Thanks for the response. I am using Cura and I can't find much on how to access the gcode monitor there; do you know how? Otherwise I'll just try a print with MatterControl and observe from there.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member