1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R1 (Kickstarter) upgrades

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Osmosis, May 2, 2017.

1. Osmosis

Osmosis New Member

I just replaced my old extruder to a new E3D v6 and am loving it. Thanks to help from Robo R1 staff.

But what other upgrades can I do the unit itself?

Is it possible to install the R1+ heater bed on an old KS model?

LED lighting?

I already found the LCD XXL unit and love the idea of using SD direct printing.

Are lead rods really needed? Thoughts on that would be helpful...

My drawer bed has taken quite a beating and was wondering best way to clean/prep it. No major damage, but still have filament stuck to it and has quite a bit of scratching.

If I print parts like fan ducts, wire chains, x-chasis, etc. should I use ABS or PLA?

Right now I'm pretty much stuck using PLA without heater bed. Or do I have that wrong?

Drop me links if you can, any help would be appreciated.

Oh, and what's the clear Robo R1 cover for? Currently being held on by 3M tape, but has a screw hole in it, no screw. Can I take it off? What's the purpose?

2. Paladin

Paladin New Member

Clear cover is for a filament spool holder. There's an acrylic rod that screws into the clear cover that you put the spool on.

I found that out because the printer I bought came with the rod but not the cover. I then saw an unboxing video that showed how the cover and rod screw together.

I've been printing with PLA only so far for my upgrade parts, and they've been fine. As long as they don't get too close to a heat source they should be fine. Even the dual fans I printed for parts cooling are holding up fine and they're pretty close to the heat block.

#2 Paladin, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lots and lots

Yes.

Yes.

Your call, I have one each way. Less z wobble with leadscrews.

Replace it with the bed upgrade:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:386602
    or
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:681894

PLA is fine. Something like Alloy910 is perfect if you are concerned :)

Lots of filaments do not need a heated bed, but ABS does. In fact, it really wants a heated chamber :)

http://taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

More details available for specific ones. I'd suggest starting a new project thread for whichever you want to try.

I have two machines that started off as Kickstarter Robos (the BETA model they are called)
    Both are effectively R1+ equivalents*. Just takes a little work :)

*better IMHO since they have the C2 style LCD controller with the Raspberry Pi

#4 mark tomlinson, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017