1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printer Sounds Terrible - Possible Stepper Motor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bryson, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Bryson

Bryson New Member

I have just had this issue start up and thought it might be due to a clog, but after replacing the extruder it appears to be the stepper. Its almost as if the gcode is telling the printer to extract filament while also telling it to extrude it. I have a video i can email if needed and some pictures of how my print looks after hearing the sounds.

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

sounds like you may have a weak stepper driver. Have you checked it? Other option is filament is indeed jammed. Possibly a bad stepper. Can test by swapping cables on the ramps board and asking the printer to extrude, does the motor you switched to move smooth? If swapping back does it not? If so bad stepper (unlikely). Filament tension to lose? causing skipping? Upload your video to youtube and attach a link to the video may help as well.

3. Bryson

Bryson New Member

Okay here is the link to the video.

Of note is that it only does this every so often and then prints fine for a while, and it is not localized to one area of the printer.

4. Bryson

Bryson New Member

I have posted the video on the thread. Thanks for your help.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

can you turn the large gear easily by hand?

6. Bryson

Bryson New Member

Yes it turns just fine.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

so you should check the stepper driver and ensure the filament has good tension on the hobb bolt. How fast and what temps are you printing at? Could be exhausing the melt zone of material causing skipping as well.

8. Bryson

Bryson New Member

I will check the tension, but I printing PLA at 200C with anywhere from 40-60 mm/s, it usually "skips" at both speeds. What would you recommend for PLA?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

that should be fine, I'd check the stepper driver voltage and make sure the fan on the bottom of your Robo that cools the ramps and arduino is working. You can also check the small fan that cools the hotend (it blows on the cold end section) to ensure its running.

Have you oiled/seasoned the hotend?

10. Bryson

Bryson New Member

I have oiled/seasoned it to the best of my knowledge.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ok, let me know how the stepper driver checks out.

12. Bryson

Bryson New Member

So I think we have solved this. The stepper motor sounded terrible and would stop extruding filament, but would do this very randomly. It turns out to be the cable connection with the stepper motor cables. Due to the poor positioning of the cables they can get in the way of the x-axis limiting switch (suggestions on how to stop this welcome). We had these zipped tied to the extruder area and it appears when the cables were stretched and pulled due to the extruder moving the cables were getting crimped or something. I cut the zip tie off and now everything works fine. I just need to find an alternative to keep the wires out of the way of the x-axis limiting switch.

Thanks for your help Geof!

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Just pull some of the extruder wire through to give it some relief and re zip tie. (thats what I do on all my "needs tinkering" machines) no relief is bad business for wiring.