1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y-Axis only moving in one direction

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tatajer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. tatajer

tatajer New Member

I've been futzing with this thing for about a week now trying to get the Y axis moving smoothly. I bought the igus bearings but if you tighten it down too much it catches. I gave up and I have standard LM8UU bearings coming. During the process I was moving the Y axis back and forth to test smoothness.

Now the Y-Axis only moves in one direction when I try
    Here's what I've tried:
    1 - reverse the cable and the Y axis stepper moves in the opposite direction. So stepper appears to be fine.
    2 - Swapped the motor driver from another axis (x-axis). still only moves in one direction

What else could it be?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is the Y home switch working? Check the switch and wiring from it to the RAMPS board.

If that is working correctly then the electronics are the last place to look.

The RAMPS board is the most likely of the two to be the problem. Since you did not tell us exactly which model you have (beta, R1, R1+) I can't tell you specifically which one to use to replace it. The R1+ has a slightly customized board, the other older ones use a generic RAMPS 1.4

3. tatajer

tatajer New Member

Thanks for the quick response, looks like the switch is indeed come undone. just need to find the wiring diagram now to put it back and test it.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you mean where it goes on the RAMPS board ... I need to know which printer still :)

Here is the generic board. Look at the top-right corner and you can see a section for ENSTOPS. It goes on the one labeled Y (top two pins since going across the bottom two pins will short the + to the -)

ramps1-4connectors.png

If you have the R1+ it will be close to that, maybe not exactly the same.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Robo3D R1 +Plus Ramps Board (labeled).jpg

This is the R1+ version, similar spot...

6. tatajer

tatajer New Member

thanks. I think I got it going but now the Z-axis doesn't work when I auto home it. I didn't touch the endstop switches there. It just wants to keep moving downwards.

I don't know which printer. it has a white Ramps board.

EDIT: If I manually move the Z-axis all the way down works. but when I hit print or autohome it wants to keep moving.

#6 tatajer, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of the Z switches is out of position.
    If you have a Beta there is only one, if you have an R1 or an R1+ there are two up on the threaded rods just under the crossbar.

8. tatajer

tatajer New Member

I checked that both are seated properly.
    here I am manually moving it up and down even against the bed:

edit: If I push the X axis up to trigger the switches it will stop trying to go down. It just seems to stall either when it wants to print or autohome. everything else works.

if the driver adjustment is off would that affect it? it looks like the little metal philips screw plate was bent up, maybe it got shifted?

#8 tatajer, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  9. tatajer

tatajer New Member

Yup. That was it. The trim pot got moved some how. just cranked it a little bit to match the others. Persistence paid off, back to printing! This was prevented just in time i think: [​IMG]

mark tomlinson likes this.