1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Not printing past the first layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mike litoris, Feb 1, 2018.

1. mike litoris

mike litoris New Member

Hey there,

I have been having a lot of trouble with my ROBO3d R1 plus lately, It had been printing perfectly for some time now and now I'm experiencing air printing with little to no filament coming out or very poor first layers and I'm not entirely sure whats wrong. It also sometimes fails to print layers that stick together if it does get past first layer so I get solid prints at the bottom but progressively worse at the top.

Here is what I've tried.
    -
    Changed filament
    -increased tempreture of the hot end
    -cleared the nozzle with a thin guage wire (it does seem to melt perfectly fine when im putting in new filament or testing extrusion)
    -changed the entire hot end (j head) assembly.
    -calibrated using a piece of paper but i find it resets either way\
    - Used adhesion on the bed

I do use mattercontrol (I know I should switch to cura but I dont know the settings or how to setup) and aside from tempreture settings I havent played with anything else.

If someone does use cura and can send me their settings I would appreciate it, I do also have simplify3d but again it wouldnt work for me, I wish I could show an image of whats been happening with my prints, but basically its patchy and thin and I also notice the filament wire itself ends up getting sanded down by the bolt feed at the top.

I would really appreciate any and all help

Attached Files:

#1 mike litoris, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Is your fans working on the extruder side and in the case?

3. mike litoris

mike litoris New Member

yes, both fans are working, I feel like the hot end is too close to the glass, but when I adjust it and it runs the calibration again it presses the build plate too tightly again

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What version of the firmware are you using?
    Really I want to know if it is the stock branch -- marlin 1.0 or if you changed to something like 1.1 -- and if you did that, you will know :)

Stock firmware you should be using the Autoleveling Z offset command in the startup GCode block to adjust this.

G28 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

Start with the -1 example above and adjust as needed until your first layer looks like this: https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

More negative (i.e. -1.1) is further from the bed and less negative (i.e. -0.9) is closer to the bed.

5. mike litoris

mike litoris New Member

Im using the stock firmware but planning to update my firmware soon as I can, is this already in the stock code or only in the new firmware? I wasnt having this issue before and was able to resolve it by calibrating or moving the lead screws so I just wanna make sure this is something I can fix in the software (firmware/gcode)

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is how the stock Firmware behaves. If you update to something else (like say the branch @WheresWaldo helped stage) you are on your own as far as what needs to be done to configure it.