1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved UPS Requirements

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Tilrico, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I have two computers, monitor, back up hard drive, and my R1 plus connected to a UPS with a car battery instead of a small low capacity internal battery. You could get the smallest & cheapest UPS, then modify it this way. It will have more capacity than the super expensive UPS models out there.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Tilrico the link to the newegg UPS is more than enough to cover the R1+, which draws about 150 - 180 Watts @ 120v from the wall when printing.

4. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

Thank you guys, I was just a little unsure about the power draw ill hook mine up after this next print is finished.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Idle current draw is insignificant and totally unnecessary when discussing whether or not to use a UPS, you really only care about peak wattage used. The range I stated above is within a margin of error for most consumer grade 3D printers.

The Kill-A-Watt is a nice tool to have when you want to make sure you are in the ballpark, most of the time you can just use the certification label (UL, CSA, etc.) to see how much power it could draw.

7. Tilrico

Tilrico New Member

Thank you. Yea I have had the Kill-A-Watt mentioned to me for another application but I am not sure I would use it more than once or twice so that's why I am asking. It sounds like its peak wattage is very low, so the UPS I currently have sitting on the floor in my office should be just fine and hopefully last me through any power outages/prints.

Thank you all for your responses!