1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Simplify3D

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JWW, May 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWW

JWW Member

So I'm thinking about purchasing Simplify3D for my Robo R1 plus. What sort of issues am I going to have getting my printer up and running. MatterControl has been doing the trick for me but there seems to be very little help for it. It has been plug and print since day one.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Watch their videos for start.
    Use the R1/R1+ profile
    Create yourself some FFF files (the actual process configurations) and off you go.

Seriously, watch their videos first :)

You can probably get printing in a very short time.

3. JWW

JWW Member

Do they have a R1 plus specific video? Do it do the automatic bed leveling like MatterControl or do they have a different procedure I'll have to figure out. So I take it that it isn't plug and play?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No they have videos that show you how to do things in S3D regardless of printer.

As for bed leveling If MatterControl is doing it ... why? MatterControl may be already have a startup GCode configured for that printer, but then who sets the autoleveling Z offset? You need to :) Unless you are on a non-stock version of the firmware (like Marlin 1.1 and using something other than ABL).

You should be having the printer FIRMWARE do it and yes, S3D will do that. Edit the Startup Gcode to include the commands.

My startup script looks like this:

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-0.6 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

Mine is at -0.6 -- you should start at -1.0 and test up/down (more negative/less negative) in small increments until your first layer looks like this:

https://printedsolid.com/blogs/news/37035715-get-your-prints-to-stick-check-your-skirt

then write that number down. You do NOT want a global Z offset ... that does not help.

5. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks Mark,

Looks like I've lead a sheltered 3D printing life. My R1 plus has worked out of the box. I haven't a clue what you're talking about, sorry. I just printed these today without a hitch. A 18 tooth module 0.3. pinion gear with a 3mm bore and approximately .268" long.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.