1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Filament not entering extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Flores, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Daniel Flores

Daniel Flores New Member

Hey folks,

I've had the worst luck with my secondhand robo r1+- I've cycled through basically every single issue and I'm dealing with what I believe to be a clog. This is my first foray into 3d printing and it has been awful haha. Trying to get through it like a champ tho. Please, if you can provide an answer- I'm not too familiar with all the terms, I know heatsink, and nozzle haha.

My hot end fan was dying out and I have a replacement ready. In printing the last part before the swap I noticed that my extruder stopped extruding filament by itself. By going into Matter Control I was able to extrude filament after pressing extrude 10mm a few times. When resuming a print the big gear would retract quite a bit and the next time I paused to extrude I'd have to press 10mm a few extra time.

By pushing filament through by hand I noticed that now all of a sudden it feels like the filament gets stuck on something in the heatsink. I tried as best I could to look inside with a flashlight but I can't seem to see anything in there. When I dismantled the extruder it almost looked crooked to me. I've attached pictures because I have no clue if this is what it should look like. I don't know the model so I can't look up pictures to see what it should look like.

My assumption is that it is a really bad heat creep clog because I only just recently noticed that the hot end fan shuts off sometimes. I never had extrusion problems before and this is definitely a new development.

Thanks all!
    D IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3597.JPG

2. Daniel Flores

Daniel Flores New Member

Oh also, the two white wires (second picture, behind square rubber thing) came loose during my following of Robo's instructions (heat to 240 and wait). MatterControl noted a hardware failure but I was able to plug the wires into the hole of the square rubber part and rebooted again and everything seemed ok.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those wires look to be the thermistor (temperature sensor).

If you mean the fan attached to the side of the extruder (small one -- 35mm) then you are correct. If that fan is not spinning 100% full-speed, all the time, you will get heat creep. Period.