1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y axis, lost steps?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, Mar 24, 2020.

1. joea

joea Active Member

I'll recheck the cable routing to see if something may be binding as the carriage moves upward.

As far as the belt tracking goes, I've played with the cog placement a bit and the results are not always what I expect. One thing is the belt, on both axes, will track from one extreme to the other as I move back and forth, to and fro, along either axis. Does this on the idlers as well, but not always in a consistent way. There does not appear to be any play in the idler bearings, but there is some "wobble" it the drive cogs. I am considering ordering new ones.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Wobble like that in the belt travel is usually the cogs, either loose or not positioned correctly.
    Warped is a possibility I guess :)

The problem with it traveling to the extremes is that if it pushes up against the edge/wall of the race it will bind or at least pick up a lot more drag.

3. joea

joea Active Member

Oh, I meant the cog drive itself wobbles a bit. Set screws are tight and I can see the end of the end of the shaft. I resorted to a shim on the mount for the X axis idler to make it more (or less?) "square" (orthagonal?) to the direction of travel. That, at least, has it centered on the idler bearing for some of the travel.

The Y axis, I made sure the belt ends were firmly seated on the anchor ends and had to make up paper spaces for those to take up side to side slop and push them to one side. That helped tracking there, but is is close tor rubbing at either extreme of travel. I don't think rubbing on that part is causing the failure as a the print is centered on the bed and clearance in that area is fine. At least when looking with the bed off and the unit cool. It would be a real challenge to fit up a borescope camera or something to get a look at failure time.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you take the bed off and watch it travel on the cog and capstans that should be good enough. I am not certain that is the cause of the binding, I am thinking the bearing mounts for the rails may be not leveled or centered correctly. Make sure the screws that hold those don are tight and that the mounts the bearings are in are not warped or out of position. Any of that can be printed if need be to replace it if one is damaged.

5. joea

joea Active Member

New discover today. A revelation? While recovering from a botched print due to bad adhesion (I thought) and attempting to move the bed, manually directing +Y motion via Matter Control, I found the bed stopped, responding about 2/3 of the max travel.

No noise, no nothing. The bed resisted manual movement, until powered off. Then it was free and moved smoothly, full travel. After a bit of messing around, I found it would go full travel if I did a "Y" home first.

After another long-ish print that failed with the top layers displaced -Y, I found the same issue. I did not note if the "step counter" indication, which I guess would have told me something about where the software thought the printer was.

Question becomes, what could be causing this? Still simply loss of steps for some reason , mechanical, electrical?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like something is causing it to loose track of itself. Missing steps will do that.
    Remember that the printer only "knows" home and everything else is math (calculated based on the distance traveled and the steps/mm for each axis as defined in the firmware).

From your description it sounds like the stepper is locked. This can happen (actually will happen) when the stepper is being stepped by the electronics. This is why if you want to (for example) change filament during a print you have to pause and unlock the steppers so that you can move the carriage to do that. When stepping via control the steppers are locked in position and step as commanded. This is why powering it off is freeing it up.

So again we still have the same possible suspects (stepper/stepper driver/ramps/arduino) those are the only real suspects because if it were an actual mechanical blockage of the movement it would stay blocked when you powered it off. Since it freed up when powered down -- it is an electrical or electronic "lock" . It really can't just be a simple wiring fault either because an open circuit (or even a short) would not keep the stepper locked (although in intermittent open could make it loose steps).

7. joea

joea Active Member

Finally, success.

The solution was to lower "Speed for Non-Print Moves" (MatterControl) from 150mm/sec to 100mm/sec. It finally dawned on me that the failure was related to the shape of the print. There are areas where is does not extrude and the printer moves at this higher speed to get into position to extrude the next bits.

There was a hint, earlier, that I missed. When starting a print the final motion after "self leveling" would come to a rather noisy stop. I thought this odd, but has dismissed it as it did not seem to cause any problems. But, it nagged at me and upon investigation found the setting for non print moves. I lowered that arbitrarily and the noise was gone. Suddenly, I sensed success and a print seems to have proven that out.

I could probably raise the setting to something under 150mm/sec, or, perish the thought, research what default setting for this printer *should* be, but, hardly seems worth cutting short my basking in my own sunshine. Or something like that.

Thanks for all the assistance. At the very least it was a learning experience and I ended up with a smoother and quieter Y axis.

PS - I just did a test fit of the mask shell. Apparently I DO have a rather big nose. Apologies to "The Life of Brian", cast, crew and writers . . .

mark tomlinson likes this.