1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved X-Axis losing position

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mauricio Bremer, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Mauricio Bremer

Mauricio Bremer New Member

So I plugged in my old Robo 3D R1+ to try to print some fixtures. It was printing fine until half of the print when the X axis lost position and continued to lose position every layer it went further. I thought it could be a software issue so I re-sliced the model (and different models too) and tried again only to see it fail now at the 2nd layer. From then on it kept failing after the 2nd layer. The first layer works great but at some point in the 2nd layer it loses position and it keeps doing that for the rest of the print.

The x-axis runs fine when I move it manually (with my hand and with the controls from the RepRap board I installed) and it's well lubricated. But I can hear a clucking sound (from the x.motor-belt-carriage) when it loses position while printing and I kinda feel some extra tension in the belt while it clucks.

I checked and swapped the connectors, cables, and drivers for the stepper motor but didn't fix the problem. The belt and gears seem fine (no missing teeth or worn out and well aligned). I checked all the limit switches and connectors too (no obstructions or looseness).

What I find strange is that it was working fine until half the print and now it can only finish the first layer before it starts losing position. Could it be something wrong with the motor itself?

I'm attaching videos of the clucking sound and the x-axis losing position. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

If the clicking is coming from the motor, consider to check the free movement of the axis when power is off. You could have a failing stepper motor driver and may be able to carefully swap the driver modules to see if the problem follows the module.

The increased frequency of the problem could be a failing component, although a failed bearing in the motor may be causing similar pain.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Likely it is the stepper driver, but it could be the stepper motor.
    When the drive current is too low from the driver the stepper will make clicking/knocking sounds as it drops steps.

Swap the driver first (they are cheap from AMAZON)

4. Mauricio Bremer

Thanks for the reply.

I already swapped the stepper driver but didn't fix the problem.

The axis moves freely when powered off.

So if it's not the driver, should be the stepper itself right?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, assuming nothing is binding the travel then those are the only two things that would normally be at fault.
    In a stretch you could blame the Arduino itself (and I have had a channel fail on one card) but 9 times out of 10 it will be the driver or the stepper.

6. Mauricio Bremer

Thanks!

So probably the driver, not the stepper itself?

If I test a new A4988 driver and that doesn't work I should replace the stepper, right?

#6 Mauricio Bremer, Sep 1, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That would be my approach. The Arduino or the RAMPS board could be the issue, but that is less common.