1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Using Octoprint with multiple printer profiles

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joea, Feb 12, 2023.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Posted in their forum but no answer yet.

Just got Octoprint running on a Pi 4 and using it via the web interface. I can get it to talk to both printers and do manual control movements over the expected USB port.

But, each time I change printers, it needs to be told the correct port and speed, even if I tell it to (I think) "remember".

Seems like a simple thing to want to do, to save that with the printer profile, but see no way, so far, to do that.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am pretty sure that the OctoPrint instance is expecting to talk to a single printer.
    Works well if you use a Raspberry Pi dedicated to each printer (this is what I do) in which case each one gets its own instance and web page to control it.

3. joea

joea Active Member

That does seem to be what the docs imply that I have found. I can understand why if one wants to run "too many printers" all at once but for a small fry hobbyist, seems like "too much money" at today's Pi prices. I lucked out on this one getting a fanned case, pi and power bock for $80 via FB marketplace. Nearby too. I did have to get a SD card but had plans to have several boot versions anyway. All those I see on GreedBay end up going for almost twice that.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can probably find and OrangePi (China knock-off of the pi which is actually not hideous) version of the OctoPrint...
    Look at this one I googled up : https://www.obico.io/docs/user-guides/install-octoprint-orange-pi-zero-2-kit/

BangGood carries all of the OrangePi variants, AliExpress may too:

https://usa.banggood.com/search/orange-pi.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-orangepi.html

They are not as silly cheap as they used to be (before the Pi went stupid on prices) but some models are still quite affordable.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have used a couple of the Orange Pi Zero models years ago and for what they are -- you are getting a decent deal.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and to be clear it is NOT exactly the same as Pi with raspbian, but it is virtually identical and you can either find software for Armbian (like OctoPrint) ready to use or port some if you are adventurous :)

Both Raspbian ad Armbian are flavors of Linux (and both are based on the Debian distribution)​

#6 mark tomlinson, Feb 12, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2023