1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved why is the filament breaking?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tater, Jul 14, 2023.

1. tater

tater New Member

for some reason if I leave the filament in my r1+ for more than a few days it will break about 2 or 3 inches above the extruder. the settings are standard (50C for the print bed and 210C for the nozzle if memory serves), I have only used pla in it, it happens with any brand of filament I have tried, it might be because the attic I have it in has terrible heating and cooling, that would explain it snapping at the point it curves, that is pure speculation though. I am using an old version of matter control because I hate the new ui, as for the files, I made them in tinkercad. the thing is fully stock, I have had to take off the thing that holds the filament in place because of it clogging when the filament snaps.

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Humidity is a factor in aging of filament, in my opinion. I experience breaking between the spool and the extruder on my printers as well and have developed the habit to remove the filament if it's going to be more than a day or so between prints. This is in an air-conditioned house with temperatures no higher than 84°F and humidity in the 55% range or lower.

3. tater

tater New Member

I am not sure of the humidity in the attic, but it probably does get above 84F in the summer, right now there isn't much I can do about it because I don't have any other place to put it. it's only the bit between the spool and the extruder that breaks, the rest of the spool is fine, I have left it there for months and it wasn't breaking much more than normal.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. tater

tater New Member

the filament on the spool doesn't break when I bend it.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Then probably not totally hydroscopy in play :)

However PLA will eventually absorb enough to get brittle. Make sure mechanically there are no spots causing the extrusion to bind when the extruder is pulling it. The fact that it breaks upstream of the extruder is usually wet filament.