1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Print bed showing incorrect temps.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Tim Voges, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Tim Voges

Tim Voges New Member

Hello robo community!
    I have a R1+ with print bed temp issue. Temp is showing 65 degrees when not heated and will not come down below 58. Hot end shows 17 degrees and heats normally. It has an original print bed that has wiring without a connector between the bed a board.
    Looking a for suggestions for troubleshooting or fix.
    Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

While they do not list the exact one... check with partsbuilt.com I suspect they have what you need.
    (A replacement bed thermistor) and they are usually cheap (under $10, sometimes less than $5)

If you do not see it -- email them. We can find a generic one if needed.

Tim Voges likes this.
  3. Tim Voges

Tim Voges New Member

Thanks for the advice! I ordered the needed parts from them.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Tim Voges

Tim Voges New Member

So I replaced the print bed and still the issue with the print bed temps reading at 60+ degrees without preheating. Any suggestions on next step to fix the issue?

5. fred3d

fred3d Member

I had a similar problem quite a long time ago and discovered that I had connected a pair of leads in reverse, but I can't recall what wires were involved. As soon as the printer power was connected, the bed when hot. I was concerned that I had damaged something as a result, but when the wires were properly connected, everything worked properly.

Tim Voges and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assume you replaced the thermistor attached to the bed as well...
    try reversing the polarity (it should not matter, but worth a shot) to the thermistor and sanity check the connections to make sure you did not reverse anything else.

The only other possibilities are that the thermistor wire from the bed to the RAMPS board is disconnected (under the printer where the board and wires are) or that the RAMPS board is defective...

Tim Voges likes this.
  7. Tim Voges

Tim Voges New Member

Thanks for the advice. My problem is the bed temp is showing 60+ degrees and when not heating. This is the same with old and new print bed.

8. Tim Voges

Tim Voges New Member

The thermistor is integrated into the new print bed. I will check all the wiring. But signs are pointing the RAMPS board. Any advice on where I can get a replacement? Thanks again for the advice.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can get the standard RAMPS 1.4 from Amazon. The R1+ uses a slightly different one so if you want the wiring to be identical to the stock one on a R1+ you need to get that from PartsBuilt.com. There is a thread on the forum describing how to wire in a standard RAMPS 1.4 to the R1+ : http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

The thermistor resistance is converted into a temperature value by the RAMPS hardware and the Arduino software. The usual culprit is a bad thermistor, but the RAMPS (or even the Arduino) could be at fault. Swapping them one at a time is the only way to be certain.

#9 mark tomlinson, Jan 30, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2024
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is no functional reason to not use a generic RAMPS 1.4