1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Layer shifting problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by James Harry, Jan 30, 2016.

1. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

So I was printing quite nicely with ABS for a bit (which couldn't last) and I started to experience some layer shifting. First it was Y-Axis shifts:
    [​IMG]
    And I discovered this:
    [​IMG]
    So I was printing replacements and this happened on the X-Axis:
    [​IMG]

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Jim

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

X axis is almost always a loose belt (which jumps cogs) or a cog with a loose set-screw on the drive motor shaft.

Yours is jumping a lot... so either a really loose belt or maybe a bit of both.

3. James Harry

I didn't undo and redo the bells, but the x Beloit is definitely not loose. I will redo the pully and set screw and see if that helps

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, either the belt jumped or the gear jumped or something blocked the printer X platform from moving :)
    Those are about the only reasons it will skip/jump like that. Loose belt jumps are usually bigger than loose drive cog slipping/jumping, but everything is relative so check them both,

It can easily be the set screw on the motor drive cog. You can't easily see those anyway.
    I have all mine on with loctite now...

5. James Harry

Thanks Mark. Any concerns on steppers themselves or the stepper drivers?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have never seen that type of behavior with the stepper driver... not to that sort of extreme.

However, if you rule out mechanical issues then that would be the next step (no pun intended). Stepper drivers are cheap and everyone should have a few spare :) If not swap it with another axis and see if the problem moves.

If nothing else works then I suppose the stepper could be suspect, but it would be last on my list.

7. James Harry

Thanks again. I've been printing for awhile but only have dealt with a few things like this. I will go through and check things

8. James Harry

I opened up the bottom to change out the linear bearing pillow boxes and it appeared that the RAMPS fan was not working. I was getting ready to test the 12v pins and had not noticed that the heat sink on a stepper driver fell off. I did notice when the stepper caught on fire (thankfully). Gettin really tired of one thing after another!

[​IMG]

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That.
    Sucks.

James Harry likes this.