1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Y-Axis Reversed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by William, Aug 12, 2014.

1. William

William New Member

When I manually move the y-axis positive it moves toward me and vice versa. The wires are plugged in correctly as much as I can tell, with colors in the same sequence as the other motors. Any thoughts? Thansk.

2. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

When I look at the front of my Robo3D printer seeing their logo in the front, when I home my bed, using the ALL button in Matter Control, the bed moves towards the back centre if it already forward.

Not sure if that's what your looking for. Are you able to print a test cube?

3. William

William New Member

Peter, I'm with you on that. I just upgraded to the new y-axis rail system, but I've been away from the printer for a few months also. I've always known home to be where the bed moves back (away) and the extruder moves left. But something weird is going on. If I hit Y-home the bed moves toward me and since it doesn't know when to stop, it keeps grinding until I kill it. Originally I thought it was the limit switch, but that's working.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That almost sounds like the Y axis motor is connected backwards.

(although I think I would still expect the limit switch to activate, but I have not checked that part of the firmware).

5. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

If Y axis moves opposite direction from what it's supposed to be, then your Y axis stepper motor's cable connector to the RAMPS board is reversed.

Unplug the Y axis connector from the board, flip it 180 degree around and then plug it in. Check your Y axis movement to see if it fixed the problem.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

Ah, Mark already answered it. :)

7. Paul Yeh

Paul Yeh Active Member

When you flip the connector, it should solve the limit switch issue.

The limit switch is acting weird now because the reverse connection fools the software with max from min.

8. William

William New Member

Thanks! That was it!! I figured it was reversed, but I didn't know you could flip the thing around. I thought it could damage it or something. So, it was wired wrong and then put in backwards to fix it. When I took things apart I didn't notice the inconsistency in the color of wires. Thanks everyone!!

9. charles irven

charles irven New Member

Thank you I had the same problem and reversing the connector fix it :)