1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y axis jumps, sticks, screws up 90% of prints.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Fruition_Factory, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Fruition_Factory

So, after a week of having to print upgrades for the R1 so it would function without troubles. (cable chain, spool holder, etc) I finally get to the point where i can print something i want to print and the printer goes to shit.

At random times the y axis will stick or slip or i don't know but it does not do what it is suppose to. When it does it, the Y alignment gets off by varying distances and part way into the print, all of a sudden it starts extruding off the layers below.

I have taken the glass off, checked the belt for messed up teeth and there was none, belt looks new, I tried to adjust the tension on it, made sure there was lubrication on the rods, went through everything that seems like it could be the problem, and found nothing.

Giving it one last shot with hopes of ideas from the forum, if anyone has any ideas i would be happy to hear them.

This has been about the most disappointing electronics purchase i have made in at least 5 years now. I knew these things were hobbyist toys, and was aware i would have to do some tinkering to get it to work descent, but the amount of problems these machines have, the amount of time a guy has to spend to get them running right, then constant fixing of things to keep them running right, it's enough to make a guy want to just set it by the curb and let it become someone else problem.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The drive cog on the motor shaft that moves the Y belt is probably loose (which causes the belt to skip). Tighten the set screw and use loctite.

3. Fruition_Factory

Not the problem, first thing i checked, also would not cause the motion to stick or have tension when moving it manually.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it would. Mine had the set screw loose and it would hold... some of the time and then sporadically not. Which caused the belt to skip. This is because the bed movements can be sudden and sharp.
    Once I tightened it and added loctite is has never returned.

It is either the cog, the belt or the drive electronics and I doubt the latter.

5. Have you checked your bearings? Does the Y rods have any play?

6. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

I have had similar problems mine were caused by the heated bed wire hanging up on the gears during a print. Maybe your issue?

I end up lifting the bed to redirect the wire loom. Its hard to see, put with the printer off and flashlight bring the bed all the way forward, watch the wires to see if they hang up. I haven't found a true fix, Its become a practice to check the wire position before starting up a print.

Attached Files:

8. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thanks @Kevin Robo 3D I do not have the cable ribbon on my bed its all under the bed ( I am going to change to it down the road.)

Ahh bummer though I didnt consider that or see it anywhere in @Fruition_Factory post that he may have the cable ribbon making my issue null and void.

Im going to go update my sig to show bed wiring.

Kevin Robo 3D likes this.
  9. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

This may sound crazy but make sure the foil isn't peeling off the bottom of the bed. Mine peeled off and got stuck to the belt which restricted some movement.

Truerobotech likes this.
  10. Fruition_Factory

No real play, they slide smooth in most cases but from time to time they get friction, the Y axis gets out of alignment, and it turns into a plastic mess if i am not sitting right next to the darn thing when it happens.

11. Fruition_Factory

Ok,

Gear is tight, belt has proper tension, bearings move freely, removed the belt to see how it slides without it and it has the same spots that have more tension than others that make it harder to slide.

When i try and loosen the 6 screws on the top of the block that appears to hold the bearings, they just spin, as if there are no threads, Moving on to see if the screws go all the way through the block and have nuts on the bottom. First have to remove the bottom and all the crap in the way.

It has to be something with the alignment of the rods/bearing blocks as the friction happens even with no belt. Any pointers on checking alignment on the y rods? Any way to guage aligning them if that is the problem?

12. Fruition_Factory

Hp106 I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!

Didn't get the belt, got the y rods, worse, slid through the bearing and gummed up in the space between the two bearings in the housing so it would slide from time to time and put the breaks on the bearings.

Dear Robo..... Please use better tape on future versions. This was a huge amount of headache for something that was so dumb. I know the machines are new, and your still working all the kinks out, you have been good at integrating fixes in the past, lets see this one get fixed long term now too.

13. Hp0106

Hp0106 Member

Haha glad I could help. Happy printing!

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For future reference there are nuts on the bottom under the plate.

15. Terry Reilley

Terry Reilley Member

Rather than start a new thread for what appears to be the same symptoms, I'll tag on here.

After replacing my hot end with a new Hexagon and adding Mark's enclosure, I thought all of my problems were solved and two ABS prints were just about as perfect as I could ask for. But then this happened - the Y axis is apparently doing the same as described earlier in this thread and I have attached photos of the disastrous results.

IMG_1956.jpg IMG_1956.jpg IMG_1957.jpg

So this is what I have checked:

1. Made sure the tape/cork underneath the bed is not catching anywhere.

2. Made sure the the ribbon cable is catching. It is definitely bumping the back of the Kelly enclosure, but I wouldn't think that would cause the Y axis not to move back to the forward position.

3. I checked the drive gear and it moves freely, not missing teeth on the drive belt, and the tension seems good. I ran the table back and forth in full range of motion with the bed off using the jog controls in S3D. At first the bed would not move all of the way to the front position, which seemed suspect. I did an emergency stop and after that, it moved in full range of motion. By the way, one of these failures also occurred using Matter Control, so I have ruled out software issues for now. Please feel free to correct me if I was premature in writing off the software as a possible cause.

4. I have an R1 Plus, so my drive gear may be different. I see two holes underneath the teeth on the drive gear where I would think the set screws are, but they sit very close to below the surface so I can't really reach the set screws to see if they are tight.

I would appreciate any suggestion on this issue. I'm almost ready to do a re-make of the Office Space printer scene.