1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filement getting ground at extruder bolt

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mamejay, Apr 3, 2016.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hey guys,
    Back again. So far I have managed to iron out most of my issues. Currently I am finding with some larger prints that I am getting the filament being ground down at the extruder bolt.
    I have a ROBO3D R1 and a E3D hotend.
    I can extrude filament using the PC and by hand no problem and it comes out perfectly.
    Its when something has a larger surface area it seems to be causing problems while creating the first 2 thin layers.
    I clean up the extruder bolt and area and then try again and sometimes it works and sometimes the same things happens.
    One question when its doing the first layers the extruder gear spins a lot more than I would expect it to create the first 2 layers. Is this normal? If I did the same amount by hand a lot more filament would come out.
    As the head is right at the bed I believe this limits the amount that comes out but could be causing the issue.
    Anyway any advice? It sucks as to test it I have to wait till about 40 minutes in before I know there is a problem.
    Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What material?

3. mamejay

mamejay Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I would also give the Z-offset a look in the Starting GCode. It may need to be increased so that the first layer is a little bit higher off the bed to allow the base layer material to flow out.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I figured this:

meant that the first layer was good, but you are correct that if it is not they will have problems.

7. mamejay

mamejay Member

Thanks for that. I am currently user Mattercontrol which I know is not the best. I did find I can modify the layer and offset settings.
    How much of an offset would you suggest?

8. daniel871

It varies for everybody, but I think the starting point is 1.0mm and you try increasing/decreasing it until you get the results you want.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

One of my printers is best at -0.6 and the other at -0.9 so you need to test and decide what works best.

10. mamejay

mamejay Member

Once again the boys on the forum have helped a newbie. Increased the Z offset by .5mm and now I have a beautiful smooth base on the print. I thought the auto bed leveling would take care of that for me. Live and learn

11. daniel871

To be fair, the bed leveling only checks to see what plane the bed is actually on, it does nothing to compensate for the distance that should be between the nozzle tip and the bed after it touches off (that's why you have the offset value to adjust in the starting G-code).

Mesh Bed Leveling does what people think Auto Bed Leveling does, but it's a bit trickier to set up and requires a lot more patience (but it's more of a "Do once, save the results, never worry about it again as long as the bed is never damaged" thing).