1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can anyone tell me whats going on here???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adepino, Apr 5, 2016.

1. adepino

adepino Member

Ive been printing for quite a while now without issue... Then all of a sudden it started doing this. Basically, it will lay the skirt, then the first piece will stick, then everything after that won't stick to the bed. It appears that the auto level is miscalculating the height, and after the first piece, its raising up too high to where the filament is not even making contact with the bed anymore... Ive been printing all week with no problems and then this. Im coming up to the end of my senior year and i need my printer!!! Im in the middle of my senior thesis project and this is the worst possible time for something like this to happen... :( HELP!

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, can we assume the initial Z offset number you give the slicer has not changed?
    If so I would look carefully at the Z home switches. One of them getting out of position or disconnected can cause you major issues with no obvious errors raised.

3. adepino

adepino Member

I've changed the Z offset today, but that's common for me. Different filaments work better on different offsets. Like going from PLA to NinjaFlex. But it's set to an offset that I typically run PLA on. And it was working initially, then the next print without changing it, just went haywire. The only other thing I can think of that I changed between the two prints was, spiralize. I'd never used it before and wanted to see how it worked on a plain cylinder shape. But I had already switched it off before this bad print.

Also what I find odd is that it will start good then screw up, but if I let it keep printing, the parts on the opposite edge start sticking again... It's like just the center isn't sticking, which to me makes absolutely no sense at all...

4. greif07

greif07 New Member

Have you raised the bed temp? I saw 45 in your screenshot but I usually get great results at 60 w/PLA. I've been having all kinds of issues lately with Cura and missing layers on my Robo. Have you tried another slicer program?

5. adepino

adepino Member

I never have a problem with bed adhesion, with any material. I've always ran the bed temp on 35-45 for PLA. I've always heard I don't even need the heat on, but it seems to help a little. I watched as the printer ran through the part and it looked like the extruder head was too high, and that's what i can't figure out... The filament wasn't close enough to even tough the bed, it just started getting stuck to the extruder head. The only other slicer I've tried is the matter control that came with it.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Autoleveling height adjustment really only applies to the first layer.
    So... maybe you have the wrong firmware (which could have the incorrect Z steps defined)?
    Incorrect Z steps would let the first layer work, but then as it goes up it would fail. Did this happen say about the time you updated the firmware?

7. adepino

adepino Member

No, I've updated the firmware one time, and I've been printing great with this firmware for probably 9 months or so...

It is the first layer that doesn't work correctly.. There were about 40 tiny cylinder shaped parts that were printing, so it would print the initial layer of about 3 of them then as the head moved further to the right, it would get further away from the bed and the filament would not even touch the bed anymore... But then as it went from center to the furthest right, it appeared to move back down and start sucking again...

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Autoleveling failure then.

Usually caused by a Z switch mis-triggering or being mis-positioned.
    Make sure they are both correctly mounted and that they are triggering at about the same height on either side (you can manually raise/lower and see when they activate -- and you can adjust where the are sitting up/down on the mount to adjust when they trigger)

#8 mark tomlinson, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The currrent Robo autoleveling works by sampling the bed at 9 points and building a mathematical model of the plane that passes through all 9 points. It then applies that offset (plus the initial Z offset) to make the plane 'level' across the surface. If a point is off because the Z switch did not trigger correctly that will cause a section of the plate to not be leveled.

Newer Marlin firmware has another approach (the Mesh leveling) which can be used. This is not in the official Marlin versions the Robo is using. There is a thread on switching over to it if you want to experiment with that, but sanity check the switches first.

#9 mark tomlinson, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  10. adepino

adepino Member

Thats interesting. Just now I wanted to check it one last time just to see, and it magically fixed itself. This thing is nutty... I did change the Z offset this time before i started, but I had tried that before and it didn't seem to make difference, i usually run with a set Z offset for each different material i use and i had this one where it was supposed to be at normally... Maybe it was glitching and didn't accept my input or something, no clue..

Well thanks for the tips guys, its definitely things i will keep in mind.