1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Retraction Formula

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Drmike, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Drmike

Drmike Member

I've successfully got my object to print with my own gcode, but I have lots of blobs getting in the way. I realize I need to add retraction before I move, but I'm wondering if there are any useful formulas that will help. Right now I am using t-glase, and Taulman recommends a 1.5 multiplier on the length to get good flow. The ratio of translation is <area nozzle> / <area filament> * 1.5, but that is for length of travel. Is there a way to compute retraction distance, or is experiment and see what happens the only real way to tell?

Dr. mike

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

E3D says that retraction should never exceed half the length of the brass nozzle (actually they recommend even less about 3 mm total). There is firmware retraction built into Marlin, it is not enabled by default. Retraction will vary depending on the filament used and the temperature extruded, so I am not sure there is a hard and fast formula you could apply or even want to apply. It is usually determined by trial and error.

3. Drmike

Drmike Member

I was afraid of that. I bet someone could earn a PhD figuring out a formula based on material, temperature, extruder pressure etc, etc. Thanks! I will go play with my toys now :)