1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Surface inflection point printing discontinuity

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Noel, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Mike Noel

Mike Noel New Member

I created the object in Sketchup Make as two separate 3D objects with the 12mm diameter sphere placed directly on top and partially inside of the bottom object. I exported the s IMG_20160416_094550.jpg tl file to Meshmixer and its automatic Repair function removed the hidden surfaces. Then I exported the stl file from Meshmixer and printed using MatterControl with Matterslice using the high resolution setting.

The object appears normal in both Sketchup and in MatterControl's preview window. The objects entity information in Sketchup shows it as a Solid Group. The final result only seems to have what I assume is support material holding the two parts together with no sphere surface behind the supports (light is visible through the supports).

Any ideas why this happens and how to get a clean print?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lots of buffaloes there, you might want to try thinning the herd :)
    Start eliminating one thing at a time.

Swap out MC for Cura or Repetier host (everything else the same) and see if they print the same. If so then it is your model (or modelling) that is falling down. I don't have any specific clues to give as I don't actually use any of that software (some not recently, others... never).