1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Overnight print quit out early, what are my options with using sd cards to fix this?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robocad, Apr 20, 2016.

1. robocad

robocad Member

Im somewhat new to all this, i rememeber reading that printing over usb is very unreliable for long prints and it will basically just kill the print randomly which is what just happened to me. i know robo r1+ has a sd card slot, is it possible to make robo print from it without having the usb plugged in the whole time? If not what lcd controller is recommended with robo?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If your software supports it then yes you can launch a print from the SD card on the Robo.
    It is a microSD card, most of the LCD controllers are full-size SD (that doesn't matter to the software).

#2 mark tomlinson, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. robocad

robocad Member

Is that possible in s3d? Im seeing save to disk but i dont see any way to run it from there

4. robocad

robocad Member

Still if i end up getting a lcd controller what is the go-to for this printer? Ive been looking at the full graphic ones but have read a report on amazon that they work but the sd card reader doesnt with robos firmware.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See the PRINT FROM SD CARD button?

control.jpg

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You do have to modify the CONFIGURATION.H and include a library for the Full Graphic controllers to work. Detailed in a number of other threads.
    The SD card on it works fine with the Robo. I also have the RepRap Discount one and it works as well.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bear in mind that when you save the sliced GCode to disk and copy it over to the SD card it must have an 8.3 filename (a short filename).

8. robocad

robocad Member

Im getting it to print but it wont let me connect to the printer now to pause or stop the print, it says i need to connect when i press "pause sd print" and when i try to connect it says 'error opening select port'

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, once you kick off the print from the Robo SD card you are likely stuck waiting for it to finish. The arduino is too busy to deal with external communications I suspect.

I don't remember using that one (too long ago) the LCD controller SD cards don't seem to do that.