1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Is there some way to prevent extruder from gobbing bed during autolevel?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robocad, Apr 18, 2016.

1. robocad

robocad Member

I have in my end script

G1 E-15 F300 ; retract 15mm filament speed 300

but its still emitting filament during the autolevel of the next print which is leaving hard to remove gobs of filament all over the bed, i think its because there is still filament left in the nozzle even if its retracted. Is it possible maybe to do autolevel before the hotend heats up?

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yes, I auto level before heating because I use Zebra Plate/Skin/buildTak/Fleks build surfaces that will be melted if I auto level with the hotend hot.

What software are you using for slicing?

3. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

If you use that approach make sure your hot end is very clean first. Even a little hard filament stuck out on the hot end can through off the leveling and I've always seem some leftover after the print is done.

4. robocad

robocad Member

im using s3d, it doesnt give any option to run scripts before heating, it goes heat -> autolevel -> print

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

In your startup script set the temp to ambient and wait then let it continue (before it does the auto leveling commands).

I don't like the bed 'plates' that need this myself. Just makes things more complicated.

6. robocad

robocad Member

Unfortunately bed plates (im using pei) are the only way to make use of the full build area since they work at room temp. So basically id have to wait for to automatically heat it up, then wait for it to cool down to do the autolevel, then tell it to heat back up again, ugh.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cost of using PEI instead of glass I suppose.
    You might ask Simplify3D support if there is a way to configure it to execute some GCode without heating up. Or do the autoleveling first (cold) then just do all the printing without powering anything down -- there would be no need to do the autoleveling before each subsequent print..

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Printers that use a distinct bed probe (rather than the hotend) would not have this issue either.
    Some folks on here had developed probes that could be used -- search the forms and perhaps reach out to them if you are interested in switching. A little mounting, wiring and minor firmware changes.

9. robocad

robocad Member

So autolevel only has to be done per session, not per print? Because i could run it manually if thats the case.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It has to be done once per reboot of the Arduino AFAIK.
    I have certainly tested not doing it between prints when I was doing large batches and that works fine.

To be safe most people just do it every print since it only adds a little time, but you don't have to.

11. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Yea been doing it like this for a year. I have to make sure i use tweezers to keep the nozzle clean as its cooling down. Sometimes i have to heat the nozzle up clean it then kill the heat. Its a bit of an annoyance but not bad. Even if using glass I like to clean the nozzle anyway or it leaves boogers everywhere.

#11 KTMDirtFace, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016