1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Multiple Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jdogid, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jdogid

jdogid New Member

I just printed something else after really tightening the belts, and it shifted in both directions. Should I just contact support to see if i can get new electronics?

2. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

This looks like a problem I just had in the Z axis. My stepper driver wasn't working properly due to a fan failure.

If the stepper board is too hot, (thermal shutdown) or misadjusted (small potentiometer on the PCB) or just plain broken for other reasons, then the motor will fail to step sometimes. In my case a print would go just fine to some point, then the layers would compress a lot or it would actually start trying to print UNDER the glass! If the failure had occurred on X or Y it would look like what you're getting.

When this happens, there is no abnormal sound or noise, just a failure to move.

If you can, I would check the voltages on the stepper boards. The little pots are, in my opinion as an EE, about the most unreliable parts I've ever seen.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/stepper-driver-calibration-information.6466/

A ways down on that page is a list of voltages that should serve.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. jdogid

jdogid New Member

So I adjusted the driver potentiometers and it seemed to not shift with the part. I will print a few more to see if it stays that way. Thanks

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. jdogid

jdogid New Member

Still shifting. I might add better cooling to the bottom instead of that small fan to see if that helps.

5. jdogid

jdogid New Member

The wires that go to the extruder were right next to the X axis motor. I was thinking that it could have been the magnetic field from the front of the motor affecting the current going to the extruder. I moved it over, and all of the problems have vanished.

6. GAmbrosio

GAmbrosio Active Member

I think I shared this here somewhere. Last month or so my R1+ shifted as well at the same spot. I suspected it was the z axis- well because like an idiot, I let the thing go straight up. It grounded and vibrated. Then I realized that the thingy that held the limiter switches were out of place and lose. I took it apart and re set it so it was tight. No more shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk