1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1+ quick change plate question.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by gergiskhan, Apr 28, 2016.

1. gergiskhan

gergiskhan New Member

Good morning, all. I'm a new 3D printer, and it has been one great experience after another (yes, I'm one of those sick individuals who loves the challenge of solving problems).

I've been experiencing problems with my Hexagon head as of late, and decided to swap it out for an E3D v6 which I just received. I have a question largely based on the confusion between the models.

I purchased my Robo in March of 2016; it's labelled an R1+, it appears to be the latest model of the R1+, but I'd like to make sure. It certainly appears that the printer has the latest upgrades (rods attached to top cover, little black filament guide on the top, printer came with the spool holder for the back, etc...). One thing I am not sure of, is the quick change plate.

I wish I had known about the quick change plate the first time I disassembled the carriage to clean the head; it would have made life so much easier. But, after doing research, I found out about it, and have been using it to clean out the head as needed.

Here is my question: the plate is plastic. This appears to be newer than the versions which had it made of aluminum. For the E3D v6 head, is this plastic plate thick enough to hold the hotend, or does there need to be a different plate printed and replaced in?

I ask, because if I have to do this, I'll need to clean out the Hexagon again and try to print this out before swapping heads.

Thanks for any help.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The plastic one is fine that part of the hotend is called the cold section :)

4. gergiskhan

gergiskhan New Member

Thanks... So the plastic one provided now by Robo is tight enough to hold the cold end? I had seen some prior posts in the v6 upgrade thread that didn't specify aluminum versus plastic.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No I don't think it is, you will have to check it out.
    The one on thingiverse is according to other users who have done this.

(I don't have an R1+)

6. gergiskhan

gergiskhan New Member

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, I'm just being lazy/efficient; I don't want to have to clean up the Hexagon unless I have to. I'd rather spend the time building the v6.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, they say it will fit, but is loose. You can see if it can be tightened enough to print the replacement.

gergiskhan likes this.
  8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I use that one mark linked on thingiverse for my e3DV6 works great.

gergiskhan likes this.
  9. gergiskhan

gergiskhan New Member

So the good news is, head not clogged! Printing ensues.... :)

mark tomlinson likes this.