1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Newbie with a bad part

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aznhlfan, May 3, 2016.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Ok, I am a newbie to the world of 3D printing. I had a bad part on my Robo R1plus and contacted Robo for a warranty part, but they wanted to send me another part saying it was the culprit. I will post my problem here and see if I am not explaining it correctly to the warranty dept. because after 5 or so emails and a picture of the part I was talking about, they still don't seem to understand. So I ordered a Robo R1 Plus about a year ago and luv it. I luved it so much, I bought another one about a month ago. I received that one and it printed fine connected to the usb, but I needed them to print at the same time, but different prints. So I went to the sd card, the older one printed fine from the sd card, but the newer on would print about 10% and the print would stop. After about 3 times trying with the same result, I unplugged the sd reader from the new machine that wasn't working, and plugged it into the old machine that was printing from the sd fine. It worked perfectly, printing the entire print without as much as a hiccup. So, I then plugged the sd reader back into the new machine and it failed again, that tells me the Arduino board from the new machine is bad, correct? If it printed fine using USB and will not on the sd, the fan is working, if it were the fuses, I wouldn't think it would print from the usb either, and I plugged the sd reader into another machine and it worked fine. Robo wanted to know the size of the Gcode = 65kb, they wanted to know if I ejected the sd card from my computer correctly, and I did obvioslly if the sd reader worked on another machine with that same sd card. They then sent me an email saying they were sending me an sd card reader. Am I not explaining myself correctly to them? Below is the picture of the Arduino board I sent them, I'm not sure how they got that my sd card reader was bad from the pic.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, it is almost certainly the Arduino, but those pins from the Arduino to the SD card reader do run through the RAMPS connectors. Your picture is actually a picture of the RAMPS board which is plugged into the top of the Arduino board.

(the arduino is the one with the USB port on it)

Since you are out of warranty you can buy an Arduino mega 2560 somewhere else if you want and replace it yourself.
    (you will need to reload the firmware after replacing the arduino).

3. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

But I am not out of warranty, the printer is only a month old.

4. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Thank you for your reply, I resent them an email explaining it again from your reply, hope it helps them.

5. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

I just replaced my 2560 board with one I got from MicroCenter (Inland) for $10.

If you can't get them to replace yours I now have a spare one we could make a deal on.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, under warranty get them to replace the parts, but these are not expensive so you can always buy a replacement and use theirs as a spare. Trust me -- spares are good to have :)

7. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

So I just need to replace the Arduino and the ramps will just plug into that? The holes line up for mounting, and everyting plugs to the ramps board and the ramps board will attach to the Arduino?

8. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yes. The Inland Mega 2560 I bought was a one for one swap except that the USB port does not have the extension to go all the way to the hole in the case.

In my case I wanted that because I'm using a right angle USB cable over to a Raspberry Pi 3 running OctoPrint.

9. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Thats fine, I wont be using the usb at all unless in an emergency.

10. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

So really I won't have to unplug anything from the ramps board, just unscrew the Arduino, dismount the ramps from the Arduino and replace?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

Yup, you will need to unplug the bottom case fan but other than that you can unplug the daughter card with it all wired up, line it up on the new Arduino and plug it in. Then fire up you Arduino IDE and compile and update Marlin. Once you have Marlin setup you won't need the USB except to do firmware updates.

Just did this yesterday on mine with an Inland clone of a Mega 2560.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is the procedure.

13. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Never compiled or uploaded anything, lol, as I said total noob here, lol.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Perfect thank you, I may just go purchase one then, while I am going back and forth with Robo Warranty.

16. WZ9V

WZ9V Active Member

The Arduino IDE is pretty easy.

Download the IDE
    Once it is installed setup the board type (Mega 2560), should have board connected to USB for this
    Open Marlin.ino (in the Robo source)
    Click the Update button
    Be patient and wait until its done (takes a few minutes)

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The parts are cheap enough I have a few of everything (and only two Robo's although my DLP uses an Arduino and RAMPS too). Good thing is -- all the parts are really cheap so you don't break the bank.

18. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I just skyped with Brian at Robo, I had v1 of the firmware, he walked me through flashing it to v2, I will try again, but he said he will order the Arduino for me if flashing it doesn't work.