1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How would you solve this?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by deuel18, Jul 18, 2016.

1. deuel18

deuel18 Member

Hello guys. So I tried printing this (pictures below) and the print came out acceptable but it definitely showed some problems. There seem to be a problem with the print as the z-axis gets higher. Idk what you call it but you guys be judge. I was able to fix the previous problems I had but this one seems a bit very problematic. I'd like to be able to print the max volume with confedence.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If that was printed the way the first picture shows it then you needed support material.
    Frankly it likely needed supports in any orientation.

Quality of supports is based on the slicer.

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. there are some minor inconsistencies on the other axis (X and Y) that might simply be a loose belt or a loose drive cog.

4. deuel18

deuel18 Member

Ill definitely check that out. Do you just simply rotate the motors and feel it?

5. deuel18

deuel18 Member

True. Tbh i havent tried support material in any of my print until now. Ill definitely try that.

6. deuel18

deuel18 Member

I have the Robo3D R1, 1.75, i'm using MatterControl with CuraEngine. Im still trying to understand the the extrtuder especially the part of retraction when its not printing and is moving.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, with MatterControl I have no idea what the quality of the support material is like. Good luck. Most of the free slicer are not really great at generating removable supports (that work).

As for the other surface defect, I would suggest checking the belts are tight enough. Low thrum when plucked.
    If they are then check the cogs on the motor shafts that turn the belt drives. There is a set screw in them that holds them tight to the motor shaft and they are often loose from the factory. Easy fix (God Bless LocTite)

8. deuel18

deuel18 Member

I see. For slicer, what would you suggest as the most stable to use for Robo3D? Btw, I tried Cura 2.0 and its much better now (able to print the arch as whole). God bless too.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have not used any of the free ones recently (way more than a year).
    When I did I mostly used repetier host and slicer. They were pretty good at consistency and generally worked well (except for support material).

I switched to Simplify 3D a long time back.

If the frees one work for you, stick with them

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  10. deuel18

deuel18 Member

I see. Thanks.