1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed and hot end not getting hot.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by san_kart, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. san_kart

san_kart New Member

Hello guys,
    Few days ago the bed didn´t want to heat up. I usually pre heat everything on MatterControl and then change to Cura to start printing.
    Today I tried to print again (using Cura) and the bed automatically started to heat up way to much by itself.
    Now the hot end and the bed won´t get any kind of heat to start printing.
    I saw the Novice Expert videos to see if I could fix something and I just made sure everything was well connected.

If I try to print on Cura it wil not give me an option to pres "print" and it just says :"Temperature:0" No bed info.
    If I try to print on Mattercontrol, the autolevel will work and "wait for extruder to heat" thing that wont happen.
    How do I know what to replace?
    Thank you very much.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello, try shutting off all slicers and powering down the printer and turning back on, make sure to unplug any USB cables hooked to the printer while shutting off. It's odd that neither will heat. Is the small fan on your printer(on the bottom) running?

3. san_kart

san_kart New Member

I installed Cura again on my laptop and when I wanted to print again, "temperature heated bed switched off" error pop out.
    It stopped when extruder was 37°C and I had my bed temperature set to 0.
    The small fan is running on the bottom of the printer.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you preheat the extruder ? If yes can you preheat the bed ? If no does your thermistor for the bed show a reading at idle ?

I have a feeling your heatbed isnt working (suspect the ramps board...q3 mosfet is a typical failure) and thats whats causing your issues.

5. san_kart

san_kart New Member

I can preheat the extruder.
    I can´t preheat the bed, and it shows that its actual temp is 0°C. So you´re probably right.:p
    How can I fix it? Or what replacement parts do I need to buy? ( My printer is almost 2 yeras old and guarantee won´t cover it ).
    Thank you so much.

Is it possible to unplug the heat bed from the Ramps board to print in PLA only and avoid any damage to the borad?

#5 san_kart, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The bed shows zero ? Id double check the connections on the ramps board and make sure they didnt fall off.

Yea you can turn off the heat bed in the firnware and get by but id suggest fixing it. Cold bed printing is rough :)

7. san_kart

san_kart New Member

The bed was bad connected :$.
    I´ve verified and all connection and good now. Now something interesting happened.
    I was checking all conections to make sure all were ok and when I was looking under the bed, the extruder and the bed got recognized by MatterControl, as soon as I left the bed in its place, the extruder and the bed temp went back to 0.
    The hot end was warm and the bed as not warm at all
    The extruder was not heating up either.
    picture.png picture2.png .

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like bad bed wiring or thermistor or both. I'd start with getting a new heater assembly. It's a bit of a pain to get the old heater off so it may be worthwhile to purchase the whole assembly then fix yours later.

9. san_kart

san_kart New Member

So I guess buying a new heat bed is the best and quickest option.
    Thank you very much.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That , in my opinion is the easiesr, though not the cheapest. Be sure if your ordering from robo to let them know you want the whole bed (glass and heater etc) otherwise youll end up with just the glass or just the heater :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.