1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Would this nozzle work on my J head?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John in MS, Aug 12, 2016.

1. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

[​IMG]

I have been having a good run with my Plus. I am on the same hotend since April which is unheard of with me because last fall they usually last me a month at most.

Well yesterday I did a 26 hour print and afterward I started on a new piece and it immediately started acting clogged. I attempted to season that nozzle which is the bottom one above. After attempts to fix its still clogged

The top nozzle is on I got off Amazon back in the spring. I tried one when I was having hotend problem. Its one millimeter taller than the stock and when I did try it, it almost cut into the glass and I immediately took it off.

Well now I am out of options and was wondering if I could use this nozzle if I adjust my Z axis? Would it be that easy?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi john if it threads in then yes absolutely can use and and yes adjust your z offset if to close.

Did you mean jhead? R1+ models come with hexagon ?just curious :)

3. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

sorry its the hex

4. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

I'm still learning so feel free to ignore my comments.
    From the picture the pitch of the threads look different. Does the new nozzle actually screw on ok? if so then fine.

I've been printing daily for almost 6 months and I'm still on my first nozzle. Still doing quite well, I haven't noticed any degradation at all. But I've only used PLA filaments so far, nothing abrasive yet.

What are the signs of a worn out or wearing out nozzle?

5. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Well it appears to be working. Any difference in the threads is miniscule as I am printing a calibration cube now. The real test will be the seven hours print I am doing next

Geoff will have to answer your questions on wear. PLA is a strange animal one day it works and then it doesn't. That's all I run myself

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

You are seasoning, but are you using an inline oiler with your pla prints? That helps with preventing clogs with pla.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Worn out nozzles and visually easy to tell if you hold it up to a new one :) i ran a 13 hour glow print that took my nozzle from .4 to 1.2 lol

8. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

[​IMG]

I ran the other nozzle for a week with the z axis plus 1. I kept getting the problem above, the bottom layer breaking away. I thought would go away when I got a stock nozzle yesterday but it didn't

I am running a PLA filament at 210 head 70 bed with Aqaunet.
    I lowered the z axis back to zero and it scraped the bed so I raised it back up a half percent to run it. Any factors that could cause this?

9. danzca6

70 for bed is way hot for pla imo. Try 50. And is that a squashed bug in the past? I think your z offset needs tweaking still.

10. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Yeah its a squashed bug

Anything less than 70 and it won't stick for me. I guess I will raise it up one full mm

11. danzca6

Well...what do you mean by going up? It almost looks like it is too high now. What is your M565 command in your start gcode now?

12. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

I'm gonna have to wait until this print finishes to see