1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Auto leveling Question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jsam, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsam

jsam New Member

Hi everyone, I just got my Robo R1 Plus and have a question about the auto leveling sequence. When it starts, the print head homes to just outside the front left corner of the print area box printed on the bed. The y-axis then moves forward about an inch after which the 9-point bed leveling sequence begins and ends with the last three leveling points outside of he print area box.

Is the y-axis movement after the homing supposed to happen? I've looked at some YouTube videos of the printer and it doesn't look like this post-home movement occurs when others perform the bed leveling sequence (of course this may be the film-angle keeping me from seeing it). If this y-axis movement is supposed to occur, does anyone know why?

This results in the observed print area being outside the printed graphic. I've already looked at the forum posts about ignoring the graphic in relation to the printed heated area, but is just seems strange that the bed needs to advance an inch after homing. I would have thought it would immediately start the first 3 leveling points without moving the bed.

2. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Pretty sure mine does the same exact thing. And yes - ignore the graphic. If you search you'll probably find my post asking the exact same thing when I got mine about a month ago lol. Congrats on the printer and welcome!

3. jsam

jsam New Member

Hi Toro, your's was one of the posts I read. I guess I'm wondering why it has to advance the build plate before leveling in the first place. I did the "touch test" on the heated build area and it seems to match relatively close to the printed area on the glass.

4. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Good question. I am sure Geof, Mark, or Danzca will jump in they are great. Lots of good people on these boards. I assumed it was because home is one location. But the 9 point grid is based on another.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The 9-point leveling is a hard coded series of numbers in the firmware.
    The home position is actually further forward (and as already noted the graphic on the bed is for looks only, not actually meaningful to the printing in any way).

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

also the kapton heater under the glass is not truly as big as the build area. So putting your had on the glass will show you where the heated build area is, but that is a bit smaller than the real printable area.

Edit: I really wish they either made that rectangle the build area or not have it at all. We get a lot of those questions here. As long as it is printing on the glass I am good. :)

7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

BTW, mine actually homes in the center of the build area. That's just how my firmware is setup. Then it moves to execute the ABL grid probing. You can define the number of points it probes and the perimeter area in which to do the probing in the firmware. It's ok with how yours is working.

Are you having any issues with the ABL routine or it printing thin on one area compared to another? Or did you just have a question about the routine itself?

8. jsam

jsam New Member

Hi danzca6, I'm not having any problems (so far) with the printer and have be busily printing a few upgrades (new spool holder and frame for LCD controller). I was just more curious than anything else.

danzca6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.