1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Bolt Chews Filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 0ryanx, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0ryanx

0ryanx New Member

Well, the motor didn't fix the issue; the printer still chews up the filament. Could it be the hot end? I can see the extruder motor moving pretty fast, but the temps remain within 2 degrees of the set 210C, and it still grinds the filament. I don't know what else I can do. Any other ideas?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/extruder-bolt-chews-filament.9109/#post-83402

Micro Clogs are part and parcel of how PLA extrudes with this printer/extruder style. They come, they go and you are not likely to find them when you disassemble the hotend :) A well seasoned nozzle shouldn't do it. I went a year after getting my first one before I started seeing them. Mostly because I started using more PLA and I swapped nozzles. Drove me batty.
    You could try another type of filament and see if the problem persists (PET, PETG, Nylon, anything really) just to make sure.

3. 0ryanx

0ryanx New Member

Skype with Tech Support figured it out; the stepper configuration in the EPROMM was set to 10 times the normal value, causing the filament to extrude at light speed (it somehow got set to 7610, instead of 761; no idea how, but I know what to look for if it happens, again). Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :)

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the follow up. I am glad to hear you got it figured out and I have another step for users to check if they have this issue as well in the future.

5. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Maybe a step my step on how others can check theirs?
    Glad it worked out.

I picture a buzz saw trying to feed your filament...

6. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Well if you send the M501 command from a terminal window it will dump out what the current steps are as one of the returned settings out of the EEPROM. From there a user would know if their steps are way off from the default 761 range. Now not all will have the exact value if they do a proper extruder calibration, but it shouldn't be a 4 digit number.

Something I will have to remember to ask folks having this issue on later threads with extruder problems eating filament. I saw this on the Titan threads over at e3d just this week as well. Something to be careful of for sure.

Rigmarol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.