1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

NateTheApe's Robo R1 Upgraded

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by NateTheApe, Aug 31, 2016.

1. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

I've had my R1 for a little over a year now, and since about this time last year the printer has ran 24/7. Finally this past month I started getting really back temporary under extrusion causing gaps in layers and weak prints. Since I had held off for so long I decided to just go ahead and make the jump to a E3D extrusion setup.

The under extrusion...
    [​IMG]

Started with ordering a E3D V6 and the next day I realized I was just going to replace the whole thing so then there was a Titan on its way as well. @Printed Solid got the parts to me super fast and in the same week I had started the install...this being last weekend. To my surprise most of the install was very easy. Removed the shield, disconnected all of the old wiring, then removed the x-carriage. After that I just had to put it back together, most of the work came from the fact that I wanted JST connectors on everything at the carriage in case I ever needed to remove it.

New X Carriage
    [​IMG]

Test Fitting Carriage
    [​IMG]

Testing Extruder and Hotend
    [​IMG]

I spent two very long nights trying to get it calibrated it with absolutely no luck. Finally it clicked and I read a post about Z-axis motors skipping and decided to give it a shot. Adjusted my driver, motors got quieter, and now everything is printing quite nicely.

She's ALIVE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AND A FINAL PRODUCT! Better than before the upgrade so I can't complain...
    [​IMG]

I'll probably still upgrade to a R2 in the near future and upgrade the R1 to the upgraded lead screws as well so I'll be sure to post them here as well.

#1 NateTheApe, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    KTMDirtFace likes this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

The R2...what an allusive piece of new product release that has become. I would recommend the leadscrew upgrade. Made a big difference in my print quality.

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  3. NateTheApe

NateTheApe New Member

Yes, I know...but my R1 will do just fine in the mean time. As for the leadscrews those will probably be done after vacation in Oct, from what I've heard it is one of the best upgrades for print quality.

Printed Solid likes this.