1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved retraction problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Miguel Angel Quintero, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miguel Angel Quintero

I appreciate all that have suggestions...

I'll lead with: I started noticing the issue when I updated the AVR board in Arduino. but even going back to other versions, I cant get the robo r1 to print correctly...

it prints fine until retraction is involved at which point it doesn't come back down to its' original spot completely and so the printed part is much higher and hollowish than it should be...very much noticeable.

any suggestions?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi can you share photos or a video of what your experiencing. I don't think I understand what you mean

3. Miguel Angel Quintero

hi...thank you for taking a look...here is the pic..

Attached Files:

4. Miguel Angel Quintero

It's definitely not coming back down on the z after a retraction in certain parts...the robo prints perfectly up until retraction comes into play...and up until yesterday it was retracting perfectly and printing flawlessly...

It must have something to do with software because it wasn't an issue until i went to flash the arduino firmware as I do from time to time and there was a suggestion to update the boards and libraries...I installed the AVR board that was suggested and now everything has gone to $h*t....

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

What version of the Robo do you have? R1 or R1+? What firmware did you use to upload to the arduino?

6. Miguel Angel Quintero

I have the R1 and I use the ROBO3DR1V3 firmware

I'm somewhat savvy with this thing and I can't figure out what is going on????

7. danzca6

V3 unlocks having a writable eeprom. One thing I learned to do now after any firmware updates is to send the M502 command followed be M500 just to make sure the eeprom gets refreshed. Not sure if that will cure your issue but it will at least ensure you are using all the updated settings.

Another thing to verify is that you have 8mm threaded rods instead of 5/16in.

8. Miguel Angel Quintero

I have the original rods that came with the r1 from 2014...I'm not sure what rods they are???

9. danzca6

Two ways to find out more that you've already updated the firmware. If you didn't you could have done an M503 to get the current z steps and that would have told us. You can either count the threads per inch or if you have a nut of either size you can see if it threads onto the rod.

10. Miguel Angel Quintero

I just measured the rods...they are neither 8mm or 5/16...they are about 7.4mm...

11. Miguel Angel Quintero

here's my m503...

Attached Files:

12. danzca6

2560 is the 8mm, but you already loaded the V3 and that is for 8mm. We don't know what that setting was before. Early R1 had the 5/16 rod and I just want make sure you don't have that.

13. Miguel Angel Quintero

ah...yes...it's always been 2560...

14. Miguel Angel Quintero

I'm almost certain it's the AVR board updater from the firmware...I just installed a different version and now the retraction digs in instead of lifts too high...

any chance you can take a look at yours and tell me what version you have in arduino?

15. danzca6

Not sure I understand completely. Did you just upload the firmware fresh to the arduino or did you use an AVR programmer to upload a new bootloader to the arduino itself? I know when I open the arduino IDE I get notices of new boards and libraries but always just ignore it.

16. Miguel Angel Quintero

Hey @danzca6 and @Geof, I fixed the problem...I simply reset the artuino physically and uploaded the firmware.

Danzca, I just hit update usually, but this time around i hit install within the board manager of the AVR. I'm somewhat savvy with these things, but I havent gotten into programming so I should leave that alone...I'm super happy i was able to reset the whole thing...

Thank you!!!!!!!!

17. danzca6

That's fantastic! Glad you got her up and going again.

Miguel Angel Quintero likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.