1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Printer stoping after randomly mid print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Luke, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Luke

Luke New Member

So my robo began stoping mid print. This sounds like an issue with the ramps but the cooling fan for it is always running, and never unplugged, theres no reason it should have gone bad. Here on the forums there is someone showing how to replace the ramps with a generic version. I would just try that but the project seems a bit out of my league. There are a few things I don't understand. (like how to put firmware on the new board for example)

Any ways, I don't really know for sure what is wrong with the printer, however the problem seems worse as the filament print temp is raised, if that means anything, maybe just coincidence.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Firmware is on the Arduino and not the Ramps and you should be ok with what you have already if you ever look at doing that swap. What are you using for printing software? Do you have a copy of the terminal log so we can try and find the actual error?

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it gets worse running hotter (which draws more current through the RAMPS and makes it run hotter). Then it is likely not getting enough cooling from the fan.

Under warranty you should be talking to Robo to get that sorted, otherwise I would replace the 40 mm 12 vdc fan that is used for cooling the RAMPS. It may be weak.

EDIT: Like @danzca6 suggested the console/terminal log will show any errors. If the Arduino is raising any

4. Ocsff

Ocsff Active Member

Ramps board over heating. Once again Mark is right on .