1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

3drefiner system on kickstarter

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tesseract, Apr 5, 2013.

1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys take a quick look at this and let me know what you think I sounds like they are using MEK for PLA and probably acetone for ABS but the concept is interesting. They say that instead of printing at high resolution which takes a long time and polishing an item they print the item at low resolution which is much faster and then use there system to smooth it and afterwards very little difference between high and low res.

The rotate the object in front of pressurized spray of solution(MEK or acetone probably)

Several left but was wondering what you thought

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I looked at it earlier this week. You're actually submerging your part in a bath of a commercial solvent (stripkleen or something like that), circulating the solvent in the bath at high speed, and rotating the part. Now it looks like they are experimenting with dilute MEK and acetone as well. Of course who knows how long the pump holds up to the solvents. It doesn't spray (which is what I initially thought it was doing as well). There is no heating involved so you're a little safer than vapor polish, which is a plus. You need to hold your part using that gauze wrap looking thing, so your'e going to have some weird effect around the part.

The results don't look that impressive to me, but maybe they would look more impressive if the creators took the time to take a good picture. You can't *add* detail to your part after its already made, so the idea that you can print in lower resolution and then refine it until it is good doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's a cleaner.

Here is my thought of the moment on vapor polishing, refining, whatever: http://blog.ultimaker.com/2013/04/04/pla-is-the-new-wood/

Prints at 100 micron look pretty darn good and 50micron barely even looks like it came off of a 3D printer.