1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Abnormal function on a Z axis stepper motor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BraveMan, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BraveMan

BraveMan New Member

When we go up or down the Z axis, with the MatterControl software controls, one of the two stepper motors of the Z axis reverse its rotation after every 2 or 3 clicks.

The printer was taken out of the box yesterday, software downloaded from this website and recently installed and firmware updated. All I did was adjust the offset of Z axis with G-CODE and enable the auto bed leveling.

Please, I need help!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The Z Stepper motors should be connected in parallel to the RAMPS circuit board (under the Robo base right front side) and the stepper motor wiring connections (ie colors) need to be exactly the same.

This pic shows the Z Motors electrically connected in parallel, but in the case of the Robo, each motor is physically connected directly to the 4 pin male connectors on the Ramps board.

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/archive/6/6d/20130212155330!Rampswire14.svg

The behavior you are seeing suggests one of the Z Motors is not connected correctly to the Ramps board or possibly the wiring to one motor has one or more colored wires connected incorrectly (or is loose) in the 4 pin female plug.

A close in photo of your Ramps Z Motor board connections would help the diagnosis.

3 people like this.
  3. BraveMan

BraveMan New Member

Thanks for the fast reply.
    I will check it!

4. BraveMan

BraveMan New Member

The 4 pin plug was connected incorrectly...
    thanks Ziggy for your help

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Easy fix. Dunno how that got through "quality" control though?

6. BraveMan

BraveMan New Member

I guess it would be by transport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.