1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS printer bed glass is different

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Titaniumboy, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titaniumboy

Titaniumboy New Member

Hi all,

I received my April tier printer last Tuesday. Finally got a chance to get it hooked up and try some prints over the weekend. Successful in getting it hooked up and moving, but not successful with prints sticking yet.

I noticed that my glass bed is very different than what is shown on the website and different than that shown in this Robo 3D video Installing Boroscilicate Glass (sic) from only a month ago. My borosilicate glass appears to be the ONLY bed, and the heating element is directly attached to the glass. The glass bed does not have the printed clips that the video shows, and is not quickly removable.

I've had a Solidoodle 2 since December 1012, but that printer has a heated bed with a Kapton tape surface. Very easy to get prints to stick. Sometimes it is not so easy to remove the prints.

I've not had a glass bed before, but the consensus over on the Solidoodle forums seems to be that removable glass and cheap hairspray is the goto method. I still haven't tried using the blue painters tape yet. It would be great if the Robo boys would make a video showing how to get prints to stick to this new style of glass bed.

Titaniumboy

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You have the latest bed and the hairspray works just fine I use it and I have the same bed you do
    In my print process I actually turn on the heater prior to the running of my print so I do not have to wait so my process goes like this

this is for PLA ABS with the heated bed is a bit different and by no means is the best way as that will be dependent on you but this usually works for me

load stl
    slice it
    as it slices I turn extruder heater on
    I can usually move the berd by hand at this point so I spray a LIGHT coat of hairspray on teh glass in the area I am planning to print in
    I then do a Home All
    after that the print has usually finished slicing but if not I wait
    here there can be a alight pause as things continue to do what they do heat up or slice
    eventually the heater is done the stl is sliced and the hairspray has dried enough
    then I hit the run job button

thats it

not much of a tutorial on how to do it cuz there is nothing really to do that is hard simply spray on a light coat where you are planning to print and let it dry about 15-30 seconds and print

NO BLUE TAPE

if the filament does not stick then you have a z height adjust issue and you need to look at the z height. It is almost always a height issue and not a sticking issue seen this many times and newer people swear it is just not sticking but it again is almost ALWAYS a z height issue.

3. Titaniumboy

Titaniumboy New Member

tesseract,

Thanks for the quick reply!

OK, so no blue tape (wonder why the Robo boys showed it in their video?). Couple of quick questions:

1. What temp are you using with the hairspray? 100C?

2. Brand of hairspray? Lots of people say some brands work better than others.

3. This is the biggy: How do I keep the hairspray from going where I don't want it to go?

For the ABS guys and this new bed, the Robo guys will save themselves a lot of tech questions and new owner frustration if they make an updated video for ABS printing... Just saying.

Thanks!

Titaniumboy

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

old school
    for PLA no heat bed at all
    I use aquanet and it seems to be great
    for ABS when I used it the heat bed was at 45
    but remember what mey work for me may be a bit different for you
    the hiarspraworks best for PLA but I t did manage to get it to work for ABS also
    as far as it not getting everywhere i just focused on getting it one teh bed and if I happened to hit someplace else I wiped it off with damp cloth and that works for me

5. nickster

nickster Member

For PLA, been experimenting 50C bed temp using Aquanet Extra Super Hold I found at Walgreens .
    [​IMG]
    The addition of bed temp seems to activate the hairspray giving it extra good stick. ABS 100C initial bed temp. Sticks like glue. Put down three rings around the part using the options in Slic3r for the first layer. It is useful to measure the thickness of this first layer after the print completes to help with Z height adjustment. See my post on Z-math.

Attached Files:

6. kelly

kelly New Member

To Stop the hair spray from getting on every thing I drape a paper towel in front of the extruder and move the bed all the way to the front.
    The paper towel is wide enough to caught most of it.

7. Cybus

Cybus Member

Out of curiosity, why not? I had some problems with the prints not sticking even with the correct Z-axis height (flat first layer), so I put some blue tape on the print bed. The print stuck much better to the tape, though it still had issues with warping and popping off.

8. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'm at the point where I'm going to try hairspray. Something I never mentioned but I think must be pertenent is my first prints tests were successful using the small amount of blue filament (PLA) that came with the printer. All my issues have started when I ran out and went to a new roll of white PLA from Robo. I used blue tape with the blue filament. The white doesn't stick at all on the tape. I got what I think is a real good first layer, it is flat but doesn't stick at all, it just drags behind the extruder. I tried some hairspray that was laying around the house on the tape and that didn't work, pulled off the tape and sprayed directly on the glass and still no stick. I'm going to get some Aqua net and give it a shot tonight. Any reason why I should expect better results?

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

there is a component in the hairspray that helps the prints adhere to it the hairsprays that don't have it don't work the ones that do it works great. Some one I think just determined what it was but I can not find the piece of information so I can not tell you what it was but believe me whenI find it I will the fourm know

I currently have ROBO white so if you want let me know and we can go through the different things between how we print with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.